Monday 17 August 2020

Knocking The Skill Level

I've found over the years that I can be really into a certain band at a certain time, and then lose interest by the time the next record comes out. Back in 1994 I picked up the first Garden Variety LP, and was really into it. But for whatever reason, when their second LP was released in 1995, I didn't pick it up. But finally, 25 years later, I have got around to doing so.

'Knocking The Skill Level' was released on Headhunter Records. I imagine that a reasonable amount were pressed, but these days it can be a tough find. The price seems to have come down a bit lately, although I was lucky enough to get it given to me from an old friend.

It's slightly disappointing that this wasn't pressed on colour vinyl, although at this point I'm just happy to have a copy at all.

For anyone not overly familiar with this band, they were from Long Island and played a kind of post hardcore / emo rock. If you've never listened to them, you should. I've linked my favourite song below. It's only 3 minutes and you just might find your new (old) favourite band.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Nice! I love this band and have had their two albums on my Discogs Want List forever! Seems that they only show up from overseas sellers, and I keep waiting for a US seller to finally let one go. I would have thought this would have been a cheap record to pick up these days, but I was wrong!

Miles said...

Hi Marcus,
If you want it on color vinyl Arctic Rodeo records from Germany released a three LP discography box set limited to 500 late last year, I think they still have it for sale:

http://arcticrodeorecordings.com/?page_id=4444

Discogs has some for sale too:

https://www.discogs.com/Garden-Variety-The-Complete-Discography-1991-1996/release/14311868

mcs said...

Thanks for the tip, Miles. The box set does look pretty cool. Although I'm not going to buy one as I'm trying wherever possible to avoid reissues (although not always successfully!).

Billy said...

Thank you for sharing this