Thursday 16 July 2020

Just Cause

This whole Corona virus & lockdown situation has had a lot of impact on the world so far. And one of the tiny side effects has been that it has made me focus more on buying records from within the UK, as international postage seems to be experiencing a few issues.

Today's cheap gem from within the UK is a maroon vinyl copy of the Just Cause 'No Barriers' 7".

This was released by Vicious Circle Records in 1991. I actually used to own this 7" but sold my copy probably about 20 years ago, because I didn't think it was anything special and I hated the front cover. I actually think that probably the main reason I got rid of it all those years ago was the front cover, and I still can't work out what animal it's supposed to be. I think it may be a wolf, although it looks more like a badger to me or possibly a rat. Whatever. But it seems kinda funny that I decided to buy it again all these years after letting it go.

The main reason that I bought this was because I have never seen a copy of this record on colour vinyl. So because it was listed as being colour vinyl and was only £4, I just bought it. I even broke my own policy of asking for pictures and just bought it blind. I know, I know - this kind of behaviour will land me in trouble eventually.

I listened to this and it's actually not bad at all. If anything, time has probably helped it, because now I'm listening to it partly with a nostalgic ear, rather than trying to compare it to whatever else I was buying back in the early to mid 90s, and it sounds good for a record from 1991. It toally reminds me of a couple of Inner Journey Records releases, in that it slightly suffers from poor production, and it has been pretty much lost to the sands of time. But I'm happy enough with this for the price paid. Buying cheap 7"s is fun for sure.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Buying records sight unseen for £4. Wow. You are a risk taker, aren't you?

Dave Brown said...

Thanks for the kind words... I can't believe it's been almost 30 years since I put this out. I was just out of high school and this was the 3rd releases on my little label I was running out of my mom's house. It's funny you mention Inner Journey, because one of the two guys that ran that label actually was living about 5 minutes away from me in the same small town at the time, and we're still friends after all these years too. This was a fun release by a band I kept seeing at The Safari Club back then, so I asked if they wanted to do a 7" on my label. They had already had a song on the 1st release on my label, a compilation 7" I put out while in high school.
As far as the creature on the front cover... I think it's a rat. 🐀
I actually ran into the singer & the guitar player about a year ago at a Jawbox reunion show in DC too.