Monday 5 October 2009

The Thing That Ate Floyd

Nearly two weeks since I last updated this thing. I've got slack. Partly due to other more important things going on right now, and partly because updating this thing is starting to feel like a chore lately. I guess that's my own fault though - my posts have been getting longer, including mp3s and video and long written pieces. So making a post feels like a big effort right now, which puts me off posting and creates a backlog. So I'm going to try to catch up with my posts in the next few days by writing less guff.

I got these records a few weeks ago. A couple of versions of the classic Lookout! Records compilation "The Thing That Ate Floyd" 2 x LP. I put in a couple of pretty low bids on eBay before I went to bed, and then somehow won both. I think they were like $20 each or so.

First, clear vinyl with red & yellow bits around the edge:

Second, a nice solid green vinyl:

Both come with a little booklet giving info about each band and lyrics etc:

Also contains minimum pressing info:

I already have the orange vinyl. Got it a few years ago when I had no idea about the pressing info. So I guess I got lucky.

This is a classic Bay Area punk compilation. It came out in 1988 and contains some early songs by some now quite well known bands, such as Operation Ivy, Neurosis, Crimpshrine, No Use For A Name, as well as a few bands who later put out their own records on Lookout! like Corrupted Morals, Cringer, Isocracy, Mr T Experience, Stikky, etc. I used to listen to quite a lot of this kinda stuff a long time ago, and I'm quite enjoying listening to it all again. Cool.

2 comments:

mike said...

I just sold the orange a few weeks back. I forgot I had it and there it was in a box at my parents house. Good comp, I have the CD of it. nice score to have all color vinyl of them.

Anonymous said...

You see that photo next to the "First 50 on orange vinyl?" That's me. There are no colored vinyl first pressings. Carry on...