Tuesday 6 October 2009

Yellow Seaweed

I was helping John Pette with a couple of pics for his Sub Pop discography recently. He was putting together a comprehensive Seaweed discography. When he had finished I had a look & it jogged my memory. He had their 2nd 7" listed as being on green vinyl. I emailed him to tell him that I was sure it also existed on yellow vinyl. Pretty much as soon as I emailed him I decided to look around the internet to see if I could find any evidence of its existence. I then managed to stumble across one for sale, sent an email, and then a couple of hours later paid. Simple.

There were only 1500 of these 7"s in total. Previous thinking was that the first 500 were on green and the remaining 1000 were black. But the numbering on this one casts doubt on that theory. This is 1263/1500. So even if this happens to be the first yellow one (which is unlikely) then there are at least 237 yellow copies. I'm guessing there are at least 300. The yellow is definitely rarer than the green. Strange though that the later numbers would be rarer than the early ones. Will we ever know the pressing info of this? Probably not.

A couple of pics showing the difference between the two colours:

If anyone reading this knows anything about this 7", please get in touch.

When I bought this I also picked up the first Velocity Girl LP at the same time. The only Velocity Girl LP I didn't previously have on vinyl.

According to John's site there are four colours of this thing. I'm happy enough to have one. Not my favourite band, but I used to listen to them quite a bit in about '94. I just never got around to picking this one up. Good to finally cross it off the list.

3 comments:

Alternate 1995 said...

I have a black 940/1500

I'm assuming you have the purple flyer insert and this is how you know there were 500 on sea-green. No idea why they didn't list the rest of the info. Maybe it's 500/500/500. Why do you think yellow is the rarest?

mcs said...

I think yellow is rarest simply because i have seen fewer yellow over the years. It's just a hunch really.

Alternate 1995 said...

ok someone on RN has a black numbered 1092....that kills my theory. You're on top of your seaweed game my friend.