Sunday 20 February 2022

Sonic Bloom

So I thought I'd take a break from my pop punk nostalgia phase and post something else for a change...

It's been quite a while since I gave the band GIVE any real thought. I spent some time today reading all my previous blog entries for their records, and two things kinda stood out to me. FIrstly, that I own a shitload of Give records and, secondly, that it's been over ten years since I got into them. Looking back, it seemed that they put out a bunch of great 7"s, then an LP which seemed way too long and everyone kinda lost interest. Then they put out another couple of 12"s with songs that were outtakes from the LP recording session, and then they called it day.

The band's second to last release before they called it a day was the 'Sonic Bloom' 12", released by Revelation. At the time this came out I was pretty disappointed as it contains 5 songs, two of which had been released a few monhts earlier on their full length. But listening to it today, I enjoyed it a lot. Anyway, I picked up a test press. Apparently 10 exist.

This one definitely made me feel that I have been missing Give for a while. Aside from the overly long LP, they have a pretty flawless catalog. It's a shame they called it a day before putting out a second full length, but that's the way it goes I guess.

1 comment:

Nico said...

A Rev test is pretty amazing. :)