Thursday 18 May 2017

The Most Beautiful Record (In The Room)

And now for something a little different...

Last year I saw a picture of this LP on instagram and i instantly wanted it. The only copy I could find at first was on Discogs and priced at $60. Fuck that. I then found out that this was actually a new release. Or rather, a repress which was exclusive to Newbury Comics. I then went to their store and bought one for whatever the new LP price is. Cool.

For those of you who don't know, 'Flight Of The Conchords' was a TV show that aired on HBO 2007-2009. I watched it on the recommendation of a dude at work who was from New Zealand and told me he thought I'd like it. He was right. I watched both seasons and enjoyed it, and then pretty much forgot about it. Then a couple of years ago, for some reason I can't remember, I watched it again. The second time around it was even more enjoyable, and I found myself really digging the songs. So I downloaded them. I then found out that most of them were released by Sub Pop a few years before when the TV show aired. And on vinyl too. I found this kinda weird, but kinda cool at the same time. I mean, when was yuonger, Sub Pop was the grunge label that released Nirvana and Mudhoney. And here they were putting out comedy records.

So it seemed too much of a coincidence that around the time I started really enjoying the songs and listening to them regularly, the label repressed one of the albums on colour vinyl for the first time. All the signs were there, it seemed. This had been pressed especially for me. So of course, I had to have it.

These dudes are brilliant fun. A total pair of buffoons. Jermaine cracks me up. His face alone makes me laugh.

Interestingly, I think that this is the first Sub Pop release I can ever remember being hand numbered (well, except for the Nirvana 'Love Buzz' 7" that is). It's kinda odd to see a nicely printed LP sleeve numbered in black marker in the corner. Kinda feels a little unnecessary to me. I mean, 600 copies does feel like a lot to hand number. This ain't hardcore after all.

To end this post, I thought I'd share this video from youtube for one of my favourite songs. 'The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room)' is a love song full of back-handed compliments. The video makes it even better, especially the bit where Jermaine does his dance move. Enjoy...

1 comment:

Mike said...

Ha! Never seen the show, but that video was great!