Thursday, 1 October 2026

There's A Knife In My Back

Trying to collect Revelation Records releases is a job that will never ever be complete, not by me or anyone else. But that doesn't dissuade me from stupidly trying.

I recently picked up this black vinyl copy of the Civ 'Cant Wait One Minute More' 7". I used to own this 7" thirty years ago when it first came out. But when I managed to acquire a white vinyl copy, I sold my black one. The irony is that one of the reasons that I sold this is the exact reasons that I have decided to buy it again.

According to the Rev pressing info, there were 300 copies of this record on white vinyl and 5000 copies on black vinyl. But an unknown number of the black copies have a wrong, misprinted label on one side. The 'wrong' label states that the name of the song on the b-side is 'There's A Knife In My Back'. However, the song is actually titled 'Et Tu Bruté'. It turns out that the reason for this is that the song 'Et Tu Bruté' was originally called 'There's A Knife In My Back' and the band changed the title at some late stage. Clearly the change was made on the sleeve art but the label art somehow got missed until some copies had been pressed.

Back in 1995 when this came out and I first bought a copy, I noticed that the label was wrong as the title on the label is clearly different to what is printed on the back of the sleeve. Back then I thought that I had bought a 'faulty product' and so when I got a white copy I sold the black one and was glad to be rid of it. But all these years later I was reminded that this exists, and also realised that not all of the black copies are like this, so it suddenly seemed rare and appealing. So here I am going out of my way to track down a record that I couldn't wait to get rid of thirty years ago. What a ridiculous situation.

The photo above also shows that the final, correct version of the label also has the 'CIV' logo on it, which was not present on the misprint version. I didn't actually realise this difference existed until I picked up this misprint version last week. So this means that the misprint label is different in two ways.

Of course, the way that my brain works is that I now want one of the regular black copies with the regular labels so that I have two different black copies, even though I am not usually interested in the regular black copies. It really does never end.

No comments: