Sunday 19 September 2021

Dot Class "C"

I first got into a band called Inch back in (I think) 1994. This was an era when I was discovering a lot of new music, bands and scenes, and I would read descriptions of records and just take a chance. I was keen to discover bands that my friends didn't know about so that I could bring stuff to their attention and feel like I was ahead of the pack. I don't know why that seemed to matter really, but it meant that I was always looking for something new. I think Inch ended up on my radar because their first LP was listed on a mailorder list from a record shop I used to buy from at the time, and it said that the band featured a dude on vocals who used to be in the band Sub Society, who I knew about due to H-Street skateboard videos. So that was enough information to buy their first LP. I also picked up 3 or 4 7"s back then too. I enjoyed them at the time, but probably within a year I had moved on and rarely listened to them again.

A couple of years ago I was adding my collection to discogs, and I found that Inch had two more albums that I never knew about. I guess there were so many bands and labels in the mid 90s that I couldn't keep up. So I lost touch with Inch. But I was interested to see that there was a vinyl pressing of their second LP, 'Dot Class C', although it seemed relatively hard to get. So I added it to my want list and waited. The copies that came up for sale seemed to be more expensive than I wanted to pay. But last week I was googling around and I found a brand new copy for sale for a super good price.

This album was originally released in 1997 on CD, and the LP was limited to 750 copies, which come in screen printed, hand numbered sleeves.

The band were from San Diego, and apparently these covers were made by another San Diego legend, Rick Froburg. I imagine he must have regretted agreeing to make 750 screen printed covers after making the first couple of hundred.

If you haven't heard this band before, which is probably most people reading this, then be aware that they sound like an indie / alt rock type band. Same vague ballpark as Drive Like Jehu. Not hardcore. You probably won't be into it.

No comments: