Monday 22 July 2013

Perfect Pitch Black Test

Anyone who reads this blog with any degree of regularity may realise by now that I'm a fan of Cave In. Always have been, and ever since Hydrahead brought out their first 7" release I've bought (it seems) two copies of each release. No reason why. But even in the earlier days of collecting, when owning one copy of each record seemed acceptable, I seemed to pick up two copies of each Cave In release. Recently I've picked up more than my fair share of test pressings. And here's another. A test press of their 2005 album 'Perfect Pitch Black'. Unlike a lot of tests, this one comes in a regular sleeve.

This one came out at a weird time for record collecting. This was 2005, when it seemed that some bigger labels who had always supported vinyl seemed to stop supporting vinyl. This album came out on Hydrahead, but for some reason they released this on CD only and licensed the vinyl to a dutch label called Garden Of Exile Records. There were 900 copies pressed on vinyl in total, across two pressings of 500 and 400 respectively. I have no idea how many tests were made, but given the general scarcity of this LP on vinyl at all I'm just happy to have one.

2013 Test press count is now 34.

No comments: