Saturday 27 March 2010

Bane Of Strength

Until a few weeks ago, I had forgotten that this record even existed, despite owning it for about 12 years. I remembered of its existence when I saw Fred Hammer advertising one for sale on the Livewire board recently. Given that this comp contains a rare Bane song, I figured I needed to add this to my hoard, in line with my objective to collect every Bane test press... an objective at which I am failing miserably.

Anyway, this is a compilation LP called 'All Systems Go!', which was released circa 1998 as a split release by two labels - Underestimated Records and Open Handed Records. The LP features a bunch of late 90s bands covering hardcore "classics" from the 80s. Being old and having seen a few projects of this nature over the years, it seems to me that these things pretty much follow a set pattern - i.e. a comp of cover songs always seems like a fun idea at the time, but a year or so later everyone realises that it's seems completely pointless because, let's face it, anyone wanting to listen to Minor Threat or Dag Nasty should really do just that, rather than listen to some other band play covers. However, like I said, this has Bane on it, so I kinda felt the need to own this test press:

Here's a shot of the test press next to my regular copy:

Bane's contribution to this comp is a Chain Of Strength cover. The comp comes with a booklet, and this pic shows the Bane page:

The funny thing is that I have known the guys in this band for nearly ten years, and I have never asked about this song. I've never heard them play it live, and I am not sure that they ever played it live. Anyone know?

For anyone who hasn't heard the Bane song then I took the time to rip it from vinyl today. Unlike most people's vinyl rips, this is pretty good quality. Feel free to check it out:

Bane - Chain Of Strength cover

Hopefully dudes won't mind me posting this.

8 comments:

hows yr edge said...

"Anyone know?"

You probably should have said,

"hey Brian, do you know?"

;)

I'm positive I saw Bane play this song at least once. It was on the floor of some college in CT. No stage. Ben Chused was on drums, one of his first gigs.

March 27th 1998 @UCONN Connecticut: Time Will Tell, Bane, Follow Through, Sum Of All Fears

Word

Mike said...

I remember them playing this Chain of Strength song at a club called Pearl Street...maybe opening up for Ten Yard Fight and H2O.

mcs said...

Well, its alright for you two then isn't it?

I've seen people request it & they just flat out refused.

XXX said...

What covers do Earthmover, Extinction and Death Threat do?

mcs said...

Earthmover - 'One To Two' (Dag Nasty)
Extinction - 'Without A Reason' (No For An Answer)
Death Threat - 'Who You Know' (Alone In A Crowd)

TreTillDeath said...

They did play this live? I can't remember at all...

Anonymous said...

I talked to AB about this awhile back. They played the song relatively often until they actually recorded it. They shelved it after that.

Benjamin Chused said...

I've got the original MP3 from when we recorded this song if you guys want it. I'll post it when I have a second. We played the song a lot when I was in the band.