Thursday 4 March 2010

Sinking Ships 7"s

Back when I really started collecting records (as opposed to just buying them) in the early 90s, my main focus was on Revelation Records. The records they had put out to that point were all amazing, and as a young kid discovering sxe and hardcore, I quickly realised that Revelation was a label I could trust. Some of their releases over the next couple of years were quite a departure from their sxe hardcore past (Sensefield, Farside, Into Another) but I loved them all. It was obvious that Rev was just something special, and I turned my attention to collecting their records. Obviously this was before the internet got switched on, and it was a different world, but I did pretty well and picked up a lot of good stuff. And over the years, my Revelation collection is something that I have always tried to maintain & keep up to date, even though I haven't been overly fussed by a lot of the more recent releases. I always focused my collection on the limited pressings (i.e. colour vinyl), so I don't have any "regular" pressings (i.e. black vinyl), and I only have one test pressing, so my "collection" is far from complete. But still, I currently have 195 separate pieces of Revelation vinyl.

Actually, make that 197. I just picked up two versions of the Sinking Ships 7" that I didn't have before. Sinking Ships records were selling for big money a couple of years ago, but since they split up I have seen the prices finally start to come down to a level that I don't think is outrageous. I picked these up for $10 each. First, the white vinyl, which is the most limited colour, out of 225 copies:

Second, the Euro Tour press, which I suppose I could have picked up in person if I had wanted to go hang out in a room of 18 year old wheelchair moshers two and a half years ago:

The sleeve of this one is very DIY. I guess most bands/labels these days take the time to make a special sleeve for tours, but I actually prefer this approach. This is just a regular cover with 'Euro Tour 2007' written on the front in silver pen. There's also a bit of silver spray paint too which I'd never really seen before since it probably wouldn't show up easily on most photos:

Hand numbered on the back cover out of 65 copies:

To be completely honest, I was never a big fan of this band. I mainly bought this because ti was on Revelation. But having said that, this band does have a few good tunes. I'm really into the LP, and this 7" is also good, which is in part down to a Seaweed cover ('Losing Skin'). I'm now seeking the Sound & Fury version of this 7", which is pretty much the same deal as the Euro tour version, but on pink vinyl and numbered out of 50. It was selling for somewhere round $60-70 at it's peak, so I'm hoping I can get one for less than $20 now the dust has settled and fickle kids have moved on to collecting whatever band is cool this week instead.

4 comments:

Mike said...

What the hell is a "wheelchair mosher"?

mcs said...

It's something I picked up this week from the Dead & Gone board that made me laugh. I quote:

You obviously didn't attend the gig that I went to on saturday in the hope of seeing hang the bastard, only to find they had pulled out and been replaced by a hundred 17 year olds doing what could only be described as 'The Wheelchair' to some jarg band doing a Guns Up cover...

I think 'the wheelchair' is when people try and do a two-step dance , but without actually two stepping. It's just shuffling their feet while flapping their arms...

A kind of half shuffle half jog while thrusting both arms downwards simultaneously, creating the impression of propelling a wheelchair, often while shaking the head side to side with a holding-your-breath-under-water face.

Bob Shedd said...

revelation repressed this on black (and now yellow) that are both very limited. I actually picked the black vinyl up at a store about a year ago, only 110 pressed. funny that I bought this at a store. good luck with the collection/s!

mcs said...

You bought a Revelation release at a store? How the mighty have fallen eh? :o)

Oh yeah - I like the link on your name there. Ha!