Tuesday, 21 July 2026

In Mass Mind

There are some bands that I have never been remotely interested in checking out for various reasons. One of them is The Make-Up. Yeah, I know that they are ex Nation Of Ulysees, which is a band that I think is pretty cool, but I always thought the name was lame, and either the photos of the band or artwork on whatever records I saw made me think that they were too 'artsy' and probably not for me. So why the hell did I just buy one of their records?

This record is the band's fourth LP, 'In Mass Mind', which was originally released in 1998. This pink vinyl version is a repress from 2023.

I bought this because someone who reads this blog regularly offered it to me for a very reasonably price. No doubt he figured that the Dischord Records and pink vinyl combination would be too much for me to resist. I wasn't overly keen on buiyng a Make-Up record, but it felt rude to say no. Plus, I figured that I would easily be able to sell it on for the price I paid if I hated it. So I took it home.

Given I had paid money for this and brought it into my house, I thought it only fair to give it a shot. So I cued it up and pretty much straight away found myself thinking that this was ok. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had prepared myself for. It kinda reminds me of when I first heard Shudder To Think somewhere around 1994. Visually and musically they were not really what I was into at the time, but there was something alluring to them, and I had to admit that they were very cool. It's similar here, although the main difference is that I'm about twenty years late this time around. But yeah, this is a really cool record. I'm glad that I gave it a chance.

No comments: