One of my current projects is to own at least one copy of every Dwarves LP. I already picked up a couple of them earlier this year, and have been keeping my eyes open for others. Last week I found a copy of their first LP on eBay UK for cheap, and decided that I probably would never find a cheaper one, so pulled the trigger.
This record is titled 'Horror Stories', and this copy is a first press copy on Voxx Records, released in 1986. It has different (and far better) cover art than the later pressings. I actually love the art of this LP, although I'm not sure I can explain why. It just looks cool.
As the photo on the back cover shows, they were a very different band back then. Even though this is the first Dwarves LP, technically it is the band's second album. The first was released under their original name of 'The Suburban Nightmare' (which I think is a pretty cool name, and actually better than The Dwarves). They had also moved from Illinois to California. So even two albums in, they were still experimenting and trying to find their place and style.
I used to own a second press of this back when I was about 17, although the copy I had back then was a second pressing copy with a different (and boring) cover. I bought it after hearing the band's two greatest LPs ('Blood, Guts & Pussy' and 'Thank Heaven For LIttle Girls') and I was both confused and disappointed by this thing. Time hasn't really changed my view. This is a pretty bad record. Interestingly, the young me decided that I did not need to own this and sold it, and the old me is now buying it back just so I can have a complete collection.


No comments:
Post a Comment