Wednesday 11 March 2020

Bloom At Night

Last year I picked up the debut vinyl release by Sunstroke, and enjoyed it. When I wrote about it on here, I ended the post with these words: I just hope that the band continues and gives us more at some point as it would be disappointing to stop here.

Well, fortunately they managed to crank out a few new songs and release another 12". This one is titled 'Bloom At Night'. It came out towards the back end of last year, and I just got around to picking one up. After seeing various versions pop up on instagram, I went with a limited sleeve version that was being sold exclusively by XSentientX Distribution in Germany. It comes with an Embrace rip off cover, which wraps around the regular cover.

This version is numbered out of 50 copies.

My copy also came with a free split across the top of the sleeve.

Musically this is no different to the first 12". It contains 4 songs plus a Dag Nasty cover ('Under Your Influence'). A Dag Nasty cover seems quite apt as this band sounds a lot like the DC bands of the Revolution Summer era, despite the fact that they come from Philadelphia. Overall I'm into what this band is doing, although this record feels disappointingly short. I wish they'd have gone with 6 songs but not bothered with the cover. But it definitely leaves me wanting to hear more.

If you are interested in this version, they still have some left HERE.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I was tempted to buy this Embrace cover, plus a couple other variants, but cooler heads have prevailed, and I stopped at one copy.

Ralf said...

Glad you managed to snag a copy. I wasn’t aware they‘d released something before. Need to pick up that record. I agree that this record feels a little too short. But from a marketing point of view they did an excellent job.