Friday 6 March 2020

Upper Class Bum

One of my favourite current hardcore bands is Restraining Order. I only really discovered them last year, but looking back I see that somehow they didn't make it onto my 'best of 2019' list. If nothing else, this just shows how stupid my end of year lists are. But there is a kind of logic to it - the LP didn't make it onto the list because I didn't really get around to listening to it until this year, and the 7" didn't make it onto the list because, even though I enjoyed it a lot, it actually came out in 2018.

Regardless of the fact that Restraining Order were missed from my list, I'm pretty damn stoked on this band right now. So I was pretty excited when New Age Records put up a post on instagram to say that they'd put some rarities up for sale in their online store and there was a Restraining Order test press available.

It's always good when tests come in sleeves, and even better when it's a non-standard one.

Once I had added a test press to my cart, I figured I should also pick up the second pressing blue vinyl copy.

Interestingly, the second press is a more budget version of the record. The first press copies came in a hard, glued sleeve with a big insert. The second press comes in a folded paper cover without insert. So if you missed the first press, you really did miss out.

When this record was first released I was disappointed to miss the limited 77 pressing as it went almost immediately. So I held off buying a single copy. So I count myself lucky to have picked up an almost complete collection from the label and without having to pay market prices.

No comments: