Monday 19 December 2016

Earache My Eye

Another Sub Pop test I picked up a couple of weeks ago on my late night shopping spree was Sub Pop number 72 - the July 1990 Singles Club 7" release by The Rollins Band.

The 7" itself is a bit of an odd release. The A side features a spoken word track, whilst the flipside is a cover of 'Earache My Eye', which was originally by Cheech & Chong.

Well, given I had just bought a test press, and I already had a pink vinyl copy, I figured I needed a red copy to complete the set. So I hit up discogs and managed to grab one without too much of an issue.

There were 4000 copies of this 7" made. 2000 on black and 2000 on color. The color copies come on both pink and red vinyl. I don't think the actual numbers are known, but the red seem to be much rarer than the pink.

And to end, the obligatory collection shot.

One of the funny consequences of this record is that it got me interested in Cheech & Chong. I'd never seen one of their movies in my life, but after listening to The Rollins Band version of 'Earache My Eye' I decided to check out the original on youtube. This then made me want to watch their first movie, 'Up In Smoke'. It was pretty good, so I then went to watch the sequel, but that sucked so bad that I turned it off after about half an hour.

No comments: