Monday 12 December 2016

Better Than Gone

Last week I was in the process of going to bed when I realised that I hadn't checked eBay for a few days, so figured I would have a quick look. Perhaps it was fate, but only a couple of minutes previous someone had listed a couple of test pressings for some old Sub Pop Records releases. My eyes nearly popped out of me head and, even better, these things were being sold by someone in the UK, meaning a less risky shipping process. I couldn't hit the BIN button fast enough.

Although this isn't much to look at, there are some records that I thought I would never own, and this is one. Great band, great record and a great version that I'm sure lots of people would be willing to fight over. Fortunately it didn't come to that. Anyway, you know how it is - the best way to celebrate is of course to take an updated collection photo:

It's funny, but it was almost five years ago to the day that I picked up the purple vinyl copy. There were apparently 10,000 copies on white vinyl but only 200 on purple. Well, that's the official story, although there are also some clear pink copies too. And whilst there are no official numbers on the test press, it doesn't really matter.

More Sub Pop records to come soon...

1 comment: