Sunday 22 May 2016

1000th Post

I realised a few weeks ago that I was getting close to my thousandth post on here, and started wondering what I would put up to mark this occasion. At the time I had a parcel coming to me with nearly 100 records inside, and there were two records in there that I had been searching to for close to twenty years. So I figured one of those would be it. But then, unfortunately, that box went missing. So I needed an alternative choice. I figured this Sick Of It All 7" would be an apt choice for reasons I will get to at the end...

So Sick Of It All are now celebrating 30 years as a band, and back in March this year played a show at a venue called Conne Island in Leipzig, Germany, which is now celebrating 25 years as a venue. So when the two got together, it seemed fitting enough event to mark with a commemorative item. Revelation pressed up a gold vinyl copy of the 7" and some dude in Germany made a special cover and insert, and the records got sold at the one show on 12 March 2016. Now obviously I didn't go as that would have involved leaving the house, but luckily a friend helped me out.

As I mentioned, Rev didn't make the cover for this version, and the person who did went all out to make it unique. So whilst the front is the same picture as the regular version of this record that we all know and love, the back cover is something different:

Also, for some stupid reason the paper dust sleeves were stamped with characters from Batman. I'm guessing that it was some kind of tribute to the early Rev releases being stamped with Batman logo stamps, but in my mind this release could have done without it. I just don't think it adds anything really as it has nothing to do with the band or venue. Different numbers were stamped with different characters, so for anyone who's stupid (or rich) enough to try there are technically 5 different versions to go after.

The rest of the layout is pretty cool though, with lots of pictures of the band playing at Conne Island over the years. The inside of the cover is also hand numbered out of 330 copies, and there's a flyer for the show included.

The lyric sheet contains the lyrics on one side...

... and more photos of the band at the venue on the reverse. All in all, it's a pretty cool package.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the paper feels like it was made on a colour laser printer or colour photocopier. It's definitely got to go into my 'at risk' box. If it gets hot, it could end badly for all involved.

So when I thought about it, the reason I thought this would make an apt 1000th post was to do with this updated collection photo that I took. Back when I started this blog, I owned three SOIA 7"s - the Gilman press, and the grey vinyl and white vinyl represses. Over the last eight years since I started this blog, I've picked up a few more copies of this record, adding (on average) one more copy each year, to the point where I now have a pretty good collection going on. So in a way I think this photo acts as a pretty good representation of this blog and, in a way, me.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

My collection pic looks a lot like yours except for a Gilman. I have 3 of the 4 clear RSD versions too. Congrats on your 1000th post! I've enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to plenty more!

chris said...

Congrats on your 1000th post. Maybe I'll reach this pinnacle someday.

geoff said...

1000 quality posts! thats no small feat. that is a ton of time and effort to accomplish that. i have really appreciated it too. this is the only blog i have regularly checked for years, and i really hope to continue doing so. all the photos have been great, you really show all the things i like to see in a record. your stories, the background info, everything.... its been fantastic. thank you marcus for all of the hard work you have put into this endless quest.

Mike said...

1,000 posts. How cute.

Well done, man. Quality blogging.

strangeisthenewfruit said...

Congrats, a 1000 posts is impressive, I really enjoy reading your blog!

J@screamingforrecords said...

Congrats on the 1000

Anonymous said...

Great work Mcs! you have the eyes of an eagle and the ears of a fox when it comes down to hunting down collectible stuff. I enjoy reading your blog. Sad news on the missing parcel, very sad.