Sunday 14 September 2014

Early Hydrahead Tests

I've probably said about 400 times that I used to buy all the early Hydrahead releases directly from the label back in the late 90s. Back then I would happily buy stuff by bands I had never heard or heard of, and as such I picked up some great records. The label was all over the place in the early years too, so you never knew what you were going to get when the records came, but I liked that. It kept things interesting. Anyway, some of those early records have a special place in my heart, so when I got the chance to grab test pressings for cheap I took it.

All the tests come in plain white paper sleeves, so I pulled out the original records for the photos to make things a little more interesting.

First up is a test for the first Keelhaul 7", 'Ornamental Iron'. I remember being really into this when it came out, and the band went on to put out a couple of really strong albums in the years that followed.

Next is a 7" by a band called Six Going On Seven. Again, I loved this band when this came out. It verges on catchy pop music in a proper 90s emo cover. The band went on to release three full lengths and are probably most known for a split 7" with Hot Water Music.

And finally, an album by a band called The Never Never called 'These Ain't No Purple Hearts'. This one seems to be possible the least liked or known of every record in the label's history. You can still buy it from the label now and it has never been repressed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems like you slalomed between the more well-known titles of this label. It's a cool post though, I always like to get to know new old releases.
You also made me search Discogs for Hydra head, seems like a label that houses big names in the wide metal genre.