Sunday 31 July 2011

Jesuit Discography & Big Trouble

Did I ever mention that I used to call up Aaron Turner on the phone in the late 90s and reserve records for which I would then send money through the mail? Only 15 times? Well, I'm telling you again. This time to casually slip into the conversation that one of the records I bought whilst knowing nothing about was a 7" by a band called JESUIT. And now, 15 years or so later, their discography has just come out.

I know pretty much nothing about this band. Living in the UK I never saw them or heard anything other than the releases that came out many years ago (a 7" and a CD-EP). All I know is that they were oft referred to as insanely heavy with chaotic live shows. Dudes from the band went on to play in more successful chaotic heavy bands, namely Converge & The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Released by Magic Bullet Records, this discography apparently took 8 years to put together. After receiving it, I can see that's probably because it took the label that long to save up enough money to pay for the fancy packaging.

The cover art is, in my pointless opinion, outstanding. It features an illustration by Florian Bertmer, who clearly has an interest in boobs, butts and death. I can get with two of those. I love the bright colours used here, and I picked the green vinyl copy of the LP of the many choices available, just because I thought it went best with the artwork.

The package also comes with a 7" which contains the band's demo recording, wrapped in a sleeve which is the same art work that was used for the demo. Nice touch.

Also included is a 24 page booklet containing blurb from several 90s heads, as well as some great photos:

Oh yeah, and there's also a big fold out photo collage poster thing. So all in all, quite a lot of bang for your buck.

Generally I would advise anyone who likes Converge and collecting records (which seems to be about 5,000 people these days) to pick this one up. You won't be sorry.

I also bought a kinda novelty record at the same time from the same label. This LP is themed around the film 'Big Trouble in Little China'. It's by a pair of dudes calling themselves 'Big China & Little Trouble' and the record is entitled 'Lo Panning'.

This is the label's official description:

Simply denoted “Part I” and “Part II,” both sides of the LP successfully capture the hypnotic, enveloping vortex of David Lo Pan’s ancient raw powers. A subtly constant and humming melody anchors both sides almost like a raga, as Eyestone and Haley blast and churn compositional improvisation across the sonisphere. The results are a deliberately glacial and powerful presence seeping and oozing away from the melted minds of the creators and into the listening rooms of the new hosts of these diabolical spirits.

No, I have no idea what that means either. But what comes out of the speakers is some lo-fi drone type shit a bit like Sunn 0))) but without any vocal noises. I'm generally not into stuff like this, but I have to say that this is a really perfect noise to listen to late at night in a dimly lit room.

Oh yeah, and also you should note that this record glows in the dark!

Yes, that's right - IT GLOWS IN THE DARK!!!

No comments: