Friday 1 July 2011

Deadguy 'Work Ethic'

Ah, the 90s. My era. Looking back now, some of it was truly fantastic, and some was truly awful. When I get nostalgic I remember most of it fondly because I was there and it was an interesting time in life. But truth is a lot of stuff I forget about until some little reminder comes along of things. And that's what this post is about.

Dave from Six Feet Under Records was selling a load of stuff on eBay recently. I watched a lot of items and ended up not bidding on any of them due to the prices going higher than I was comfortable with. But one little item caught my eye and I was intrigued...

Deadguy. I remember when this band appeared in the mid 90s. Deadguy were born out of the ashes of No Escape (who are most widely known for that split 7" with Turning Point) and man, they were hard, loud and rockin'. There was a lot of buzz about them. I specifically remember how everyone was going nuts for the CD which combined the songs from both their 7"s. Me, I was more excited for the 7"s than a CD (I guess it would take the rest of the world another ten years to catch on to this!). Anyway, I had both 7"s on black, but a couple of years later, in the days of the Revelation trade board, I was stoked to upgrade my 'Work Ethic' 7" for a purple vinyl copy. And that was it. I was done. Until now.

Two to three weeks ago I saw the same record on eBay on clear blue vinyl. Now, believe me, my brain is like a huge vinyl database. No matter how many records I have or want, my brain retains all pressing info and can recall it with ease. So I saw this thing on blue and immediately knew that I didn't have it, but also that I had never seen or heard of it before. I struggled to believe I could be correct though, so I even went to my 7" box and pulled out the copy I have been holding for about 14 years just to confirm I wasn't getting confused. But no, I had a purple... which confirmed that I was right and that I was just finding out that this existed for the first time since it came out in 1994.

For me, this illustrates the fun of record collecting. No matter how much time you devote to it, you constantly find out about things that you never knew existed. It only makes me wonder what else may be out there that I have no clue about...

2 comments:

Lins87 said...

Deadguy were alongside No Escape and a few others the best purveyors metallic hc.

Anonymous said...

How many were pressed on purple?