Saturday 20 March 2010

Descendents 'Milo Goes To College'

I've been on a Descendents trip for the past three months. Ignoring a band for like 18 years is pretty stupid, and it can obviously be expensive to have to go back & try to find everything, but at the same time, it's kinda fun finding out about records I knew nothing about before. I knew that some of their earlier records came out on a record label called New Alliance Records, but I didn't know which ones exactly. So I've been doing research. And around the same time that Chuck Dukowski sold a load of coloured SST LPs for an average of $150 each, I picked up this almost mint condition copy, first pressing of their first LP, 'Milo Goes To College' for about $50. Given that this thing came out in 1982, I am very happy to have found one in such great shape.

I just love how basic the layout is on here, and how the label name and address looks like it was knocked out on a typewriter:

I also love how the same typewriter was used to make the labels, and how basic, cheap and crap it looks:

As much as this looks basic & crap by today's standards (and probably also by 1982 standards too, to be honest), you gotta love stuff like this. It just screams DIY. This was later reissued by SST records. I've never seen that version, but I'm curious as to whether they changed the labels. Anyone know?

1 comment:

Mr. P said...

Yes, the SST has the same typed labels. Slightly different as they added their logo etc, but very similar. (photos can be seen at eBay)