Thursday 10 March 2022

Structure

After a few days of working on other things, I'm back at the blog and continuing my series of Lookout! Records releases that I have picked up recently...

My story with the band Monsula is much the same as my friend Mike's. I have owned their 'Nickel EP' 7" for many, many years but never got around to buying anything else. Fortunately the collection I have been selling for my friend contained the first Monsula LP 'Structure', so it was an easy decision to take it for myself.

This LP was originally released in 1991, which was around the time of me starting out on my musical journey, and which is now (somehow) 31 years ago. Whatever way you look at it, that's a long time. I think that the reason I haven't picked this up previously is the same reason that I didn't buy a lot of records in the past. It was pressed only on black vinyl, and there were probably tens of thousands made. So it was never really a priority.

I'm not sure how I'd describe Monsula to anyone who hasn't heard them. Punk with a bit of melody but also a slight raw edge to it is about as much as I can come up with. They also have a second LP which I have never heard. I imagine that about 3 years ago I could probably have picked one up for less then £10, but no doubt these days they are priced at like £30, which seems to be the minimum price for any record these days. So maybe it will take me as long to find one of those as it took me to acquire this? Come back in 2050 and find out.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Looking back to see that five years ago I paid $8 for my copy, and then checking the going prices on Discogs just shows how insane record collecting has gotten.