Sunday 13 March 2022

Shit Split

Still on the Lookout! Records series of posts. Today's post is Lookout! number 43, the 'Shit Split' 12". Yes, that is the title of the record. This is a split 12" between two bay area bands, Blatz and Filth, and was originally released in 1991. As far as reocrds go, this one is pretty 'punk rock', and a lot less poppy than most other releases in the label's catalog. I didn't really know anything about this record before I checked it out, and I really liked it as it is pretty different to what I would usually choose to listen to.

Blatz sure are an interesting band. Named after a cheap beer, Blatz was a band with 6 members, of which 3 were vocalists, and 2 were female. The female vocals are pretty screamy, and the whole thing is messy and punk as fuck, ending with an anthem titled 'Fuck Shit Up'.

Filth are a harder sounding band. Their feet are placed in the anarcho/crust area, and they sound like they are not messing about. Check the artwork for their side of the record. Spiked hair, 'destroy everything'... you kind of know what you are going to get with this band. And damn, they rule.

The crazy thing about this record is how ignorant I was about it until recently. But since picking this up a few weeks ago I saw someone post on instagram that this is the greatest punk split of all time, and they specifically stated that they ranked this higher than the Faith / Void 12". I also realised that this thing has been pressed a lot of times. The Lookout! press was the first press, and it was then reissued by a label called Life Is Abuse Records in 2000. And then in 2008 it was reissued again by Alternative Tentacles. I may be 30 years late to this record, but still, it earned me a bunch of badly needed punk points in 2022. Just what I needed.

No comments: