Wednesday 22 January 2020

Wake Up

Recently I 'found' a box with some records in that I purchased about two years ago, but never got around to featuring on here. So I thought I'd finally get around to posting them in the absence of anything else.

Tarpit was a band from Virginia Beach, VA who were around in the mid 00s. I ended up with one of their 7"s at some point and liked it, and have over the years managed to pick up their entire vinyl output for really cheap. And we all know that there's nothing quite so satisfying as picking something cool up for cheap.

This time I picked up two different versions of their 'Wake Up EP' from 2004:

Previously I only had a version of this with a limited cover. So it's cool to add the white vinyl (which is the only colour vinyl version) of this one to the collection. It's also nice that white was clearly the right choice for this one based on the artwork.

And I also was lucky enough to grab the test press too, which comes in an alternate sleeve:

I think everyone has a band that they like that they feel that the rest of the world completely missed or forgot about. Tarpit is one of these bands for me. They were never really huge in their day, and in some ways their sound was kinda typical of the mid 00s era, but they were really good at it. They released two 7"s, a split 7" and a full length and that's it. I've managed to pick up test pressings of all but the split 7" now, as well as colour vinyl pressings and some limited covers. Sometimes wonder what bands like this would think if they knew that some fool halfway across the world was still trying to collect their records over ten years after they broke up. I like to think they'd be stoked.

Anyway, here's a video I found on youtube of a song from their final show. If you've never heard them before then maybe invest one minute of your life to see what I'm rambling on about?

No comments: