Sunday 21 November 2010

Keelhaul's Triumphant Return To My Stereo

Keelhaul was always a bit of a mysterious band to me. After listening to them for ten years, I still know next to nothing about them. I bought their second release, a 7" on the mighty Hydrahead Records, when it came out, purely because it was on Hydrahead. At the time I bought everything Hydrahead released religiously, but this one grabbed my interest because it was being sold as having someone from Integrity in it. I remember it like it were yesterday... even though it were ten years ago. Anyway, the 7" really impressed me, and so I grabbed the LP that then came out a year or so later. That was a great record too. And so was the next album that followed circa 2003. Then one summer (2004? 2005?) they toured Europe. They played in my home town of Leeds, but that day I had been out skating in the Summer sun and during the late afternoon fell really sick, so I didn't see them play. Then they vanished.

But then last year, five years after they were last heard from, Keelhaul released a new album. And as seems to be the case more and more often these days, I finally got around to picking it up about a year late. What's my excuse? Well, I don't have one. I'm just old and out of touch. (Actually, I remember why I don't buy any Hydrahead releases anymore - the shipping charges are completely insane. I added some Hydrahead records to my cart a few months back then went to check out and found that the shipping costs were more than the records. Bugger that). Still, I spotted this on ebay on purple vinyl for about $21, which I thought was alright for a double LP in 2010.

I've listened to nothing else for the past few days. This just might be their best album to date. So good. Sorry? What was that? You never heard Keelhaul? In that case, I suggest you click HERE for a good introduction.

On a related note... I saw Ringworm play at some godawful all dayer in London back in about 2005. One of the few good bits of the event was when the dude introduced Aaron Dallison (of Ringworm) to the crowd and my brain clicked 'Dude is in Keelhaul' and I cheered. But then I realised that people around me might think I was cheering for Ringworm, which would highlight me as being a fool. So I shut up and left quick smart.

No comments: