Thursday 26 March 2020

Les 120 Journees De Sodome

This one was a long time coming. I bought my first copy of the Integrity / Mayday split 7" probably in about 1994 or 95. It came out in 1992, but I hadn't even heard of Integrity at that point. But at the point that I had heard of Integrity, there was only one version of this record out there, which was on black vinyl in a black and white sleeve on Endgame Records. To a young me, this was very low budget and DIY looking record, which made it cool. It wasn't the kind of thing you'd see in a high street record shop, which just added to the appeal of it.

At some point (Discogs says 1995, although in my mind it was a little later), the record got repressed on Game Two Records. I think this was a label owned by the same dude who released the first press, but he just changed his label's name. The records have the same matrix so were pressed from the same plates. Anyway, this second pressing came on on a few different colours of vinyl in a different sleeve. For years I had no interest in owning any copies of it, but in 2014 I decided that I wanted to collect them. And I have just recently acquired the last one I needed - the purple vinyl.

I had previously picked up one of these about 4 years ago but it got lost in the post. So it was starting to feel like I was cursed and destined never to get one. Fortunately that turned out not to be the case. And in celebration of this event I got my other copies out for a group pic:

What's interesting is that the white vinyl copies come in the new sleeve, but have the original labels. So I am assuming these were 'first press' reissue copies. These also come in the black & white sleeve, as do the purple vinyl and red vinyl. The gold and blue vinyl copies come in the brown and white sleeve, so I am assuming that these are 'second press' copies. But I'm guessing. Also, I have no idea which colours are rarest, although it feels as though the purple and blue copies pop up far less often.

I've only ever seen one test press of this ever, so I think it unlikely I will ever get one. I'm gonna ask around though. You never know.

No comments: