Friday 23 August 2019

UK Hardcore Test Pressings: Part 2

A long time ago, my 100th post on here was a bunch of early 90s UK hardcore test pressings. Somehow that was 11 years ago now, but this post proves that sometimes history repeats itself.

So this bunch of records I'm about to run through all came from the same person I got the stuff from the other recent stuff from. This was a really good haul to get in at one go. I'm not sure how many people would be interested in some of these records in 2019, but I sure as hell am stoked to grab them. I'll go through them in alphabetical order...

First up is a split 7" between Baby Harp Seal (a UK emo band from Leeds) and Kosjer D (a belgian band).

This record was released in 1996. It probably got a great review in HeartattaCk zine I would imagine. This is when 'hardcore' was in a weird place with lots of emo, screamo, and mathcore dominating the scene, at a time where jumpers and glasses were the fashion and records came in manilla envelopes. There was a lot of weird stuff going on, and in the midst of it there was some good stuff mixed in. Baby Harp Seal were once such example and it was cool to see them play seevral times as they were a local band. Anyway, this is what the regular cover looks like:

Next up is the Kito 7" on Armed With Anger Records. Kito was a band from the north of England that to me kinda fitten the image of bands that would have played ABCNo Rio rather than CBGB, if that makes sense.

I actually picked up one of these in 2008, but it had a blue cover. This one has a white cover and is number 1/6. I mainly picked this up because it was listed as number 1 and thought maybe I could trade away my number 5, but given that they have different colour covers I'll probably keep both.

I also picked up this cool test press of the Stalingrad picture disc 7" that was also released on Armed With Anger Records.

Back in 2008 I also picked up a test press of the Stalingrad 7", but that one was a regular black vinyl record, which I thought was cool as the only release of this 7" was a picture disc. So it's cool to now have a second and different test press of this one. Here are the two next to each other:

I can only assume that the black vinyl one came first and then the picture disc one came second. But it would just be a guess.

Next is another test press of a Stalingrad 7", this time a split with Underclass. This was released on Caught Offside records.

I think I only saw Underclass play once. To me they were a less heavy but more crazy looking singer. I have no memory other than this.

Next, I also picked up yet another Understand 7" test press.

I was always a big fan of this band as they were from the town that I lived in at the time (Southend on Sea). Even though their later material is much better than this 7", this one holds a fond place in my heart as the cover looks awesome, and the record kinda sums up the time nicely. It takes me back to an interesting time in life where I was discovering new stuff and everything felt exciting. Anyway, I actually already have two of the tests for this release, so this now represents a third.

I don't really need three of these, of course, but over the years I picked a couple up for a good price, so figured I would hold them until I found someone else who wanted one. So if anyone wants one then let me know.

Next, a test of an old compilation from 1994. This comp is called 'Nothing New' and was a split release between Armed With Anger Records and KWYJIBO.

Just like the Understand 7", this record is a time and place kinda thing. A mixed variety of bands from the UK all playing different styles that were fresh back then and not typically 'hardcore'.

What's interesting about this test is that it comes in a photocopied & glued cover. I'm guessing it was made of the artwork that was used to make the final version of the regular cover. It folds out, and this pic shows the test cover (top) and the regular cover:

And finally, a UK hardcore compilation from 2006 or so. 'Run Your Mouth' features 3 bands of that era including Search & Destroy, whose 7" I released. I love this 7", and so bought two copies of the test press from the seller:

These two join the one I already had, meaning (like the Understand 7") I now have three. And yes, I'd probably trade the spares if anyone was interested. Just get in touch.

So that's the end of the UK stuff I bagged from this seller, but there are still a couple more records to get to from the batch which I will do in the next post...

No comments: