Thursday 15 August 2019

SSS

Moving on, the next items I picked up in a lot from a reader of this blog are by the band SSS. I was actually at the band's very first show in Liverpool. The only thing I remember was the singer swinging a wooden chair leg about at one point. A few weeks later at a different show I bought their CD demo, and a few months later still I picked up their 7" and LP, both of which were released by Dead & Gone Records. This was back in 2006. I picked up the limited colour vinyl copies of each, both of which were on clear vinyl. And now here I am 13 years later picking up the record release show versions of each.

First is the 7". It comes in a spray painted card mailer, and is numbered out of 50 copies on the back.

The mailer is sealed shut, and there's a sticker over the back of it. The previous owner left it sealed and so right at this moment it doesn't feel right that I should open it, even though I am keen to see what's inside. There's a similarly packaged Walk The Plank 7" which I own and which I did open, and inside it's like a pop up book. So I'm sure that whatever is in here must be pretty cool looking.

Next is the LP, which comes in a cloth tote style bag:

Fortunately the bag isn't sealed shut, so I could easily take out the LP and have a look. It's pretty cool. The band have basically taken the standard LP sleeve and spray painted the logo on the front in gold:

And on the back, they've each written some nonsense.

The back cover is also numbered out of only 25 copies.

I've just added both of these variants to discogs as neither were there previously. What I then found interesting is that the band released 3 more albums, the last of which was in 2014. I literally had no idea they had kept going for that long. It's also funny that, whilst I really enjoyed these two records, I never really had any desire to listen to any more of their output. Funny how that happens sometimes isn't it?

1 comment:

Mike said...

Another record that was a big deal to me back when it was released, but I haven't bothered to listen to for years. I need to dig this one out for a spin. That tote bag pressing always gave me fits...I don't own one, but how the fuck do you store something like that?!!? It is just awkward. That record release pressing looks nice...I've never seen one of those before.