Wednesday 22 September 2010

Trustkill Tests

Today's installment is two test pressings from Trustkill Records. If you'd have told me few weeks ago that I would be buying something on Trustkill I'd have laughed in your face. But someone (presumably from the label) has recently been selling the label's tests on ebay, and I had a look and spotted a couple of things that I kinda wanted, and figured I would get for pretty cheap since they were kinda obscure and forgotten 7"s from long ago.

Before the records though, let me explain something - I only really started collecting test pressings about three years ago. Before that I was never interested. My main point of interest has always been colour vinyl. Years ago, most labels would press 80-90% of their records on black vinyl, and the small remaining portion on colour. So I collected the colours and didn't bother with the black. I always liked colour vinyl, but also there was a part of me that wanted to own something different to the majority. However, now and again some foolish label would decide not to bother pressing a record on colour vinyl and the entire run would be on black. In such instances, theoretically I would have been interested in a test press, because it would have meant that I could still own a rare version of the record, despite no "real" rare version actually existing. Except I didn't get a test because years ago nobody sold or traded them anyway, because nobody who collected really cared about them anyway because they didn't have sleeves like most tests today. So even though I would have theoretically taken one if you had given it to me, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to find one. You with me so far? I hope so.

So anyway, both of these Trustkill tests were for 7"s that I own for which there was no colour vinyl or other limited pressing. So this made them attractive. But more to the point, both 7"s were/are (in my opinion) pretty damn good records. So really, there was no reason NOT to bid...

Trustkill Records number 4 - the self titled 7" from Shenoem.

I'm guessing that 99% of readers of this blog won't have heard of this band. I can't say I know anything about this band either to be honest. All I know is that I bought this back in about 1995 because it was touted as sounding just like Sunny Day Real Estate, which I was in love with back then. And yes, it does sound a lot like SDRE and Mineral and any other bands you may know like that. Here' some pics of the regular version of the record:

I wish I could give you some more information, but I can't find any. This seems to be the only band in the world that does not have a myspace. But I do notice that Geoff Creary is on the thank you list, so hopefully he reads this blog from time to time and can chip in with a comment about the band (like what happened to them, did the dudes go on to any other bands, did they ever record anything else, etc.).

Next is Trustkill number 9, the self titled 7" from Cast Iron Hike.

And again, just for reference, here's the regular version of the record. In my opinion, the cover art is a poor choice on someone's part.

This band came from Boston and were active between 1994 and 1997. They had an album out on Victory and I would say sound a bit like Quicksand & Snapcase (before they went crap). They also had a dude called Mike Gallagher on guitar who spent the next 13 years or so playing in a band called Isis, and who I did a nice trade with a few months back. My own experience of this band (being a kid in the UK) was that they seemed to appear on the scene outta nowhere, release two or three really good records, and then vanish. But the records have definitely stood the test of time, and I still listen to them occasionally. Cool band, and this is a great 7", which (in my opinion) features their best song. I also managed to find a video of said song on myspace. It's not the greatest quality video, but the sound is pretty good, and it does have a good 90s vibe going on with some bleach blond hair and baggy shirts, so you old farts can reminisce about life before you were fat and bald. If you've never heard this band, invest a minute of your life watching this and I'm sure it will make you want to listen to more. If not, you're probably an idiot.

6 comments:

Handsome Pete said...

Shenoem! That record is great.

Memory makes me think they were Syracuse related. But chances are they weren't and I'm just recalling the Trustkill Syracuse connection and their appearance on the Stones to Mark a Fire or Ceremony of Fire of comp with Earth Crisis.

I confuse the two comps.

jhulud said...

Oh man...Cast Iron Hike...awesome band. And funny about the baggy pants reference...I was one of those hardcore kids. Ha!

Anonymous said...

you should know this blog is like crack to me. im always reading it.

the band is indeed a Syracuse band, but more so a Syracuse university band. It seems like I should remember everything about the band, but some details are escaping me. the band practiced at 813 Comstock (Syracuse ny). This house was home to josh tk, pat (drummer), vince (singer), me, and several other people. I think we had 12 people living there at that time? the band had to ben reids, the first one was the guitar player from ExC. The second went to school there, and knew Pat. Pat has been in lots of bands, hes from buffalo, and now lives in nyc. If you watch tv in the states, you’ve seen his work. hes done lots of commercials. My favorite pat band would evergreen (Buffalo emo, 1993?). If you haven’t heard them, it may be worth it. I wish I had the demo. Its Garret from TITR on vocals. Pat was also in rain still falls, and of course campfire. Im sure he will email me his displeasure if he knows I publicly spoke of this. The singer also lives in nyc. Another great guy. Im not sure if he has been in any other bands.

I really should bust out that record because I havent heard it in a long time, and theres lots of good memories in the layout.

The records are straight out of josh tk’s collection. Many have never seen the light of day until now. he is having a friend ebay them for him.

-geoff

Handsome Pete said...

I was at SU from 95-98, so that's likely why I had it in my head Shenoem was Syracuse related. I'm relieved my memory didn't completely fail me on this one.

mcs said...

Geoff - thanks for that. Interesting stuff! Pretty funny you lived in a house with 12 people!

I kinda liked the Campfire CD, although listening now it suffers from pretty poor mixing.

Also, I never did hear Evergreen, although I know there were two bands with the same name, and I don't know which is which.

Josh Grabelle said...

hey guys, it's josh from trustkill. geoff just forwarded this to me. cool stuff!

geoff answered most of the stuff already and all that is accurate.

and yes, both great records. the cast iron hike 7" i liked WAY better than the album they put out on victory afterwards.

as for the CIH artwork, yeah i kinda hated it too. but that is what the band gave me that they wanted to use. i kinda forget all those dude's names (it's been 14 years afterall) but one of them is in isis.