Monday 20 September 2010

Nails 'Obscene Humanity' 12"

I went to see Blacklisted play in London a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it was more like three weeks ago. The show took place on the anniversary of last year's London Bane show from which I left in an ambulance. So I was a little hesitant about the show. I mean, I was hoping that 2nd September wasn't going to turn into my annual trip to hospital day. Fortunately though, I got through the night without suffering any bodily harm, which represents a big improvement on last year.

Nervousness aside, it was actually a pretty cool night. Blacklisted were really good, and I also watched (and enjoyed) Paint It Black, neither of which I expected to do. I also had a brief chat with Dave who runs Six Feet Under Records. I tried to convince him to get his records pressed in the States because, as we all know, the vinyl is better. I'm not sure I managed to persuade him completely, but I'm hoping that I gave him something to think about... ha!

Anyway, Dave had some records for sale, and I took the opportunity to pick up the first Nails 12". This band is one of the few current bands that I am excited about, and I was particularly pleased to hear that this is one record that Dave got pressed in the good old US of A, which made the record even more attractive. So I paid the price being asked, rejected the discount offered, & took the record home to annoy the neighbours.

The record itself comes in pretty minimal packaging. It's just a plain white LP jacket with a sticker on the front, and nothing on the back. Obviously life would be boring if all records looked like this, but now and again the minimal approach really works. Kinda suggests that the music is strong enough to speak for itself.

I'm into this band a lot. I don't even know why. There's just something about them that kinda excites me. I can't even explain why. The LP on pink is one of the few recent releases that I feel that I badly want. Hopefully I will find one soon.

At the same show there was some random dude selling some used 7"s from a shoe box. I picked up a spare copy of the In My Eyes demo 7" to send to a friend as a gift... but then it turned out he already had it. So this is now a spare that is up for grabs. If you want it, get in touch... and if you have a Nails LP on pink you want to trade for it, get in touch sooner!

3 comments:

TreTillDeath said...

Dave will say the same thing I say, there is NO PLACE ON EARTH that provides a smoother experience in pressing records than Pirates...

mcs said...

Dave? Who's Dave?

Alternate 1995 said...

tre - has pirates solved that dirty vinyl problem they had their for a bit? I know I use to need a dust buster handy whenever I got a record that was pressed by them. Putting that aside, they do seem like the place to press these days.