Saturday 1 September 2018

USA Trip, Part 4 - Philly (Day 2)

After the Saturday trip to Double Decker, Sunday was all about seeing Philly. All I knew was that I wanted to see the Rocky steps and Love Park. Anything else would be a bonus...

Well, inevitably we also ended up checking out a couple of record shops. The first, Long In The Tooth, was disappointing. The 7"s were the least organised of any place I have ever been. There was literally no order to them whatsoever. They were not organised by genre, or alphabetised or anything. It was hard work, and yielded no results for me. So then we went to Sit & Spin - a place I had heard of thanks to instagram, as they often seem to post cool stuff.

With the knowledge I had gained from Double Decker, this time I decided to save my time and ignore the LPs, so went straight to the 7"s. Thankfully there were only 26 boxes to look through!

As you would probably expect, ni 26 boxes I managed to find some hidden gems. And, just like Double Decker, most of the things I was interested in were $2-4 in price, making them impossible to say no to.

First up, a couple more 7"s by The Damage Done. I kinda got into collecting these this year after Kyle sent me a test press of their final release. The first is the 'Never Wash Away' 7" on clear blue:

The second is a white vinyl copy of the final 7" on Rivalry Records, the 'City Of Hope' 7". What makes this copy interesting is that it has the silver labels. This was a pressing plant mistake. The entire first pressing of this record was a total car crash, and out of the 817 copies pressed, less than 100 got out into circulation. So a nice little find.

Next is this weird copy of The First Step 'Demo 2001' 7" on Livewire. Id never seen this version before, and had to look it up to make sure it was legit.

Not easy to see in this photo, but in the bottom right of the back cover it says 'ltd second press' and is numbered out of 100 copies.

What's weird is that the first press limited colour was this baby blue vinyl and the second press red vinyl. So this second press on blue just confused me. But it does appear to be on other peoples' collection lists, so it clearly exists and isn't a mixed up copy. Which is good.

Next one that pretty much nobody will give a shit about - a Naked Angels 7"! This is a tour press of the 'Intent To Kill' 7" on Doghouse Records numbered out of only 50 copies. I didn't even know this existed, so it was cool to grab one for uber cheap.

I've seen Mike post a lot of One Up 7"s recently. If it wasn't for his post a few weeks ago, which made me check which of their records I owned, I would have been convinced that I already owned this Posi Numbers version of their second 7". But I didn't. And now I do.

I'd also pretty much forgotten that I missed out on the first press clear vinyl pressing of the Red Hare 'Lexicon Mist' 7", until I had a copy in my hands.

And another Dischord 7", a brown vinyl repress of the Teen Idles 'Anniversary' 7". I missed this when it came out. I checked Discogs and it reckons that this was pressed in 2011. Is that really possible? It seems like about two years ago.

And finally, a 7" I didn't even know existed until about a week before I flew out to the States. This is a split 7" between Your Favorite Trainwreck and Communication Redlight. I bought this because I bought the LP by Your Favorite Trainwreck back in 2012 and really enjoyed it - it's a band with both Popeye from Farside and Jeff from Gameface. I never knew they released anything other than that LP, until a week before I flew out (for reasons that will later become clear). So finding this glow in the dark vinyl 7" felt a little like destiny.

So that was the haul from Sit & Spin. I didn't buy as much as I did in Double Decker, but I really enjoyed flipping through the boxes. I did also flip through the LPs too but, just like the previous two shops, there wasn't much there. And after 26 boxes of 7"s, I was well and truly fed up of looking at records.

After Sit & Spin time was running out. We went to Love Park and then had to leave. But the day wasn't over yet...

Before my trip, I had spotted some LPs on discogs all being sold by Dave from Six Feet Under Records. We agreed a price, and then the question of shipping arose. Knowing I was heading over to the States, I asked where he lived and it seemed it would be possible to meet up and get the records in person. Once again, I saw the opportunity to save shipping and eliminate the risk of shipping, although I obviously wasn't thinking about having to haul these things around America for the next two weeks. Oops!

This one was literally hot off the press. The inserts weren't even ready. But the covers are really, really nice.

This is the 'blood in the water' colour vinyl, out of 307 copies.

I was also lucky enough to grab one of the leftover United Blood copies for a reasonable price. There were 100 of these on clear vinyl with this badass shark cover:

I had said previously that I wouldn't buy any more discohgraphies, but these were hard to resist. Maybe I'll change my mind in a couple of years, but for now these are cool.

The rest of the records I had arranged to collect were all Paint It Black LPs. And the record I was most excited about was the release show version of the second LP, 'Paradise'. I've had this on the want list for a while. I love the simplicity of the cover, but given there were only 25 copies, it was never going to be an easy one to acquire. The annoying thing is the crease in the bottom right, which wasn't there when I was given it, but which happened as a result of me transporting it in my suitcase like an idiot.

I also picked up the pre-order version. This one is on the same light green opaque vinyl, in a screen printed sleeve which is numbered on the inside in silver ink. It's pretty rad.

And a third version, which is a tour pressing on a darker green vinyl. This one is also numbered on the inside of the sleeve, although this time out of 203 copies.

I also picked up two copies of their 3rd LP. I didn't own a single copy of this record, so I decided to scoop two different cool versions. Firstly, the friends pressing, which comes on a blue/green swirl. There were only 120 of these.

And the second copy is a blue vinyl second press copy of in a tour sleeve, out of 250 copies:

So another successful day of record shopping, although at the end of the day when I had to pack my case I realised that I had now given myself a big problem. I'd picked up 27 7"s and 11 LPs in two days in Philly, plus I still had the 4 LPs and 7" from the previous days in Boston & Brooklyn. And I still had another two weeks to go...

1 comment:

Mike said...

So many good records. I would have fought you for that Naked Angels record.