Sunday 26 August 2018

USA Trip, Part 2 - Brooklyn

After we left Boston, we spent a great couple of days in the Catskills. There were, however, no records involved in that stage of the trip. After the Catskills, we headed to Brooklyn in NYC, so that I could catch Bedard's new band, Antagonize. They were playing at Rough Trade supporting Culture Abuse, who were playing a record release show for their new LP 'Bay Dream'.

I'd known for a few weeks that I was going to this show. I'd never listened to Culture Abuse before, but decided to check them out, not least because I'd seen a lot of people posting pics of their new record on instagram. I could instantly understand why. It's a really catchy record, and perfect for Summer. I quickly found myself listening to it regularly in the couple of weeks before the trip. I also kinda hoped that they would have a special version of the LP at their release show. So I waited for the show to pick up a copy.

The band were selling sealed LPs and the price was reasonable, so I bought one and it turned out to be black vinyl. Nothing remotely special about it. Slightly disappointing, especially as there were colour copies in the Rough Trade shop. So this was slightly disappointing, although at least I can say that I bought my copy from their NYC release show, which in itself makes it cool. But with hindsight if I'd have known it was a 'regular' copy then I probably wouldn't have bought so that I could have saved the suitcase space.

Not much else to say about this, so here's a short video I shot of Culture Abuse. It's their big hit from this record, the song 'Bee Kind To The Bugs'. The vocals aren't exactly the same as the record probably due to alcohol consumption and, as a consequence, I wasn't as into the live show as I am the record.

And to finish, a video of the entire Antagonize set. This was their 4th show. Enjoy!

No comments: