Friday 20 April 2018

Time And Space

A couple of weeks ago, Turnstile played a release show for their new LP 'Time And Space'. A week later and a friend hit me up and asked me if I wanted a copy of the release show LP. Given that I hadn't ordered a copy of the LP at all when it launched (due to the limited colours selling out within seconds), I jumped at the chance. Even better, but a friend from the States was due to come visit, so I had it shipped to him and he brought it over for me and handed it to me in person, so I received it just after a week after the show. How awesome is that?

So the packaging on this record is pretty damn cool. But requires several pictures to explain if you haven't seen it in real life...

So the slightly different thing about this is that the release show bit of this package is a single paper insert. It sits inside the 'cover' but on top of the gatefold sleeve.

This insert is numbered out of 200 copies in the bottom right corner. Apparently the red vinyl is also exclusive to the release show LP, which is kinda cool. Most release show versions these days seem to be the most common vinyl colour but in a limited sleeve. So it's cool to see a special colour as well as a different 'cover'.

So once the release show insert is removed, what's left is the standard packaging.

So the sleeve of this thing is a double affair. A gatefold sleeve slipped inside another sleeve which has a big hole in the front. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Here's a few photos of the gatefold sleeve once taken out of the slipcase style cover:

What's quite interesting is that the back of the gatefold sleeve actually looks like a back cover. Bearing in mind it is supposed to be completely hidden inside the slipcase cover, it seems weird, as strictly speaking it isn't visible. Although, that said, the inside of the gatefold is also hidden too. I guess the gatefold sleeve is kinda like an elaborate insert.

The final pic shows the actual back cover (of the slipcase thing that the gatefold sleeve sits inside of).

So aside from the packaging, what is this like? In short, it's fuckin' rad. There have been a lot of buzz over this record, and I can see why. It suonds like the next step on from their previous LP, and a tad more 'mature'. But at only 25 minutes or so, it's just too short, which means I've been getting through it about 4 times a day for the past two weeks... which means I'm already starting to feel I've had enough of it. The exact same thing happened with their first LP. I payed the hell out of it for about a month then never listened to it again. Hopefully this one will have a bit more longevity.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great score!

Mike said...

The standard packaging for this album is outstanding, and the record release pressing looks great too!

Anonymous said...

PS: you should enable the mobile template for your blog mcs. Just a few clicks...

mcs said...

I don't like the mobile template. I turned it off years ago.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

the mobile template doesn't overrule the template you customised for desktop computers or laptops. Just hard to read the letters of your post on a mobile device.

itallcomesdowntothis said...

I saw them live once and their set didn't do anything for me. Listened to their early releases and didn't like those either. But people kept telling me how good they were (plus they have been talked about A LOT on Axe To Grind podcast), so I decided to give them another shot and I've been hooked since. Not only on the new record, but also on their previous stuff. Weird how tastes can change.