Sunday 8 March 2009

Mindset

I got my Mindset pre-order this week. I ordered it back on 27 November 2008. So more than 3 months to wait for this. But once again, React! Records makes the wait seem worth it.

First thing I see when I open the package is another cool piece of screen printed cardboard, with my three 7"s underneath:

Then I check the records out. I knew there were two colours for this one (200 on red, 300 on white) plus the usual black vinyl. So I check to make sure I got one of each, like I expected. Immediately, something looks wrong:

Yup, I'm missing the most limited colour, the red vinyl. I can only assume that I got my order in late. Knowing my luck, I was order number 201. So React! send me two white vinyl records instead. I feel disappointed. Anyway, after the initial disappointment, I check out the the records, and once again the packaging is top notch. Each record comes with a sticker, a download code (two thumbs up!), as well as the standard insert:

I also got sent a huge React! Records poster, which is kinda cool, although I will clearly never "use" this:

Once I'm done checking everything out, I notice something weird. One of the two white vinyl 7"s has a stamp on the dust sleeve, whilst the other does not. So I take the two records out & lay them side by side to investigate:

What suddenly becomes apparent is that I didn't get two white vinyl records after all. I got one of the regular white records, but I also got one super limited "transition press" version. When records are made, if the plates aren't cleaned between colours, you can get traces of one colour in the other colour. Which is what has happened here. I'm guessing the red were pressed first then the white. Consequently, some of the white records contain traces of red. The traces of red are very subtle and I couldn't get the difference to show up too well on my camera. The most obvious way to see the difference is to place them both in front of the light. This brings out the red in the "transition press" & makes it appear almost pink:

So, after the initial disappointment over not getting one of the red vinyl records, I was then left feeling really lucky, since the transition press variants with stamped dust sleeve are limited to 45 copies. So I lucked out yet again. The irony of this is that each record also comes with a short article about "appreciation", which talks about how we're never satisfied with what we have, but we always want what we don't have. This is so true. The moment I opened this package all I could think about was the red vinyl I didn't have. I guess that makes me the perfect example of the modern fool.

So what does this band sound like? I mean, that's the point, right? Well, if you used to like straight edge hardcore 20 years ago and then took an extended break, all I can say is... you didn't miss much. I mean, yes, things went a bit funny in the 90s for a while, but we're over that now & back on track. Mindset isn't anything particularly fresh, but they're certainly welcome, since there aren't too many bands around in 2009 doing the traditional straight edge hardcore thing. These guys also have great lyrics. "More than words, this is a revolution". Check 'em out:

www.myspace.com/mindsetsxe

3 comments:

Mike said...

Nice! I'm glad you got one of the transition presses! Hey, if you check out that Mindset picture in the poster...yeah, that's me that the guitarist is jumping into.

Youthcrewalex said...

i lucked out and gotr a transitions as well however mine has black streaks in it :)

xroldx said...

Awesome band, great record