Friday 6 June 2008

Thank Heaven For Little Girls

My first exposure to The Dwarves was when my friend Simon Nash loaned me a vhs tape called "Sub Pop Video Network Programme 1". This was about 1992. They've reissued it on dvd now (HERE). It features bands like Mudhoney, Tad, Seaweed, Afghan Whigs and my favourite back then... The Dwarves.

After watching them perform the song "Drug Store", The Dwarves were a band I wanted to know about. I bought a few of their records. In my opinion, their output from the early Sub Pop era is their only decent stuff. "Thank Heaven For Little Girls", their second LP on Sub Pop, is debateably their best. For many years I had this on marble yellow vinyl. I recently picked up a rare variation on marble green vinyl:



The LP starts with a sample; "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?", and then rages through ten songs in about 15 minutes. Such a good record. I think they played the "Fuck Reading" festival in London in about 1993 or so and reportedly came on for about ten minutes. They were one of about ten bands playing. I wish I had gone to that. Shame that the band seem to be still going, churning out crap record after crap record, fifteen years after they ceased to be relevent.

Another interesting thing about the package I got was that the sender had used an old Steve Martin gatefold LP cover as packing. I looked at it and was like "Who the hell is Steve Martin?"



Then I opened it up, and was like "Oh, THAT Steve Martin!". He looks pretty damn cool in the shots inside the sleeve:



I had no idea he made records. I also never knew he looked that cool. I bet he got plenty of chicks with hair like that. What a dude.

No comments: