Tuesday 4 September 2018

USA Trip, Part 6 - Los Angeles (Part 1)

After leaving DC, we headed to the West Coast for a long weekend in Los Angeles. Once again I had lined up an opportunity to pick up some records in person to save shipping. This had fallen into place only a couple of weeks before we flew out, by coincidence. I had received a message through Discogs from someone who was asking if I would part with a record from my collection. I didn't want to let that particular record go, but it was pretty obvious from the discogs username that I was dealing with someone whose band I have always been big a fan of (Gameface), I took the opportunity to ask if he happened to have any spare copies of any records that I was missing. The answer was both yes and no. No, he didn't have any Gameface records that I needed. Not many people do. But he did have some rare copies of some of his solo releases, none of which I owned, but all of which I was interested in. So we talked a little and agreed a price... and then I asked if I could maybe pick them up when I was in LA in a couple of weeks' time. At the time I suggested this it seemed like a sensible option... although, with hindsight, I probably didn't really appreciate quite how big LA is, nor how difficult a place it can be to get around it. And there was also no way that I could have known that by the time I got to LA I would already be carrying 54 records about my person. If I'd have known all of these things in advance, then perhaps I wouldn't have spent the time to go and pick up yet more records when I could have been laying on the beach. But hey, at least it's a cool story. Kind of.

So on the afternoon of the first day that we were in LA we hopped on the metro and traveled up to the Chinese Theatre to meet up with Jeff Caudill for 5 minutes or so to collect the records. Jeff bought along the records I had agreed to buy in a jiffy envelope, and I made sure to get a souvenir photo as evidence of the deal.

This probably sounds like the dumbest thing, but when Jeff appeared seemingly out of thin air, I felt slightly unprepared and got straight to business. We chatted briefly for a couple of minutes, and then we parted company to carry on our respective days. But afterwards I felt like a fool for not at least telling him how much I enjoy his music. I don't want to sound like a fanboy or something, but I think it's important to be positive and kind to people. So I regret missing that opportunity. I wish I'd at least mentioned that the time Gameface played in my hometown of Leeds in 2000, it was pretty much the most excited I have ever been about any show ever. Or I could have mentioned how the time Gameface played in Leeds a couple of years later and the venue cut the power and he played 'Mercury Dimes' acoustically was one of my favourite show endings ever. Basically I missed the opportunity to thank the guy for making great tunes that I have brightened my life for over 20 years. Instead I was just some sketchy fool who bought some records from him on a street. Ha!

Anyway, on to the records. Here's the rundown of what was in the jiffy bag...

First, the 'Reset The Sun' 12". This was released last year. There were 150 on this orange and yellow vinyl, and 350 on black. I think this was a RSD 2017 release, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

I also got a test press of this 12" too.

Interestingly, the label is a split release between Fortunate Son and Revelation... and although there is a Rev logo on the back of the sleeve, this doesn't have a Rev catalog number. I'm assuming that Rev probably helped arrange the pressing and distribute it, but I'm just guessing.

This next 7" is ridiculously limited. This is a two song, lathe cut 7". As with most lathe cut records, not many were made. There were only 25 copies made in total, and it's hand numbered on the label.

Unlike most lathe cut 7"s, however, this is super high quality. It has grooves that run all the way to the centre label, and it has proper printed labels. If it didn't say it was lathe cut, I don't think it would be possible to tell. Great job.

Next is another lathe cut record, but this time a 10". There were 50 copies total, and they were made for RSD 2018 and sold in only one shop - Limited To One in NYC. I remember seeing this announced and feeling bummed thinking that I would never get one.

I got a pretty apt number too, #48/50.

Next I picked up both colours of the 7" that Revelation released last year as a benefit for the family of Jon Bunch. It contains two songs - a Sensefield cover, and a Black Sabbath cover.

It's kinda funny how things work sometimes. But the Black Sabbath cover is 'Wishing Well', which appears on the 'Heaven And Hell' album. What's funny is that I had never heard 'Heaven And Hell' before in my life until about three days before. Coincidentallly, it was playing in Joint Custody when I was there. I didn't know that at the time, of course, but I heard someone ask what was playing, and made a mental note to download 'Heaven And Hell' when I got home. So yeah, another funny coincidence.

I also picked up a test press of the Your Favorite Trainwreck / Communication Redlight split 7". Remember in my second Philly post I picked up a regular copy and said I didn't know it existed until a couple of weeks before I flew out? Well, I only knew it existed because Jeff offered me this test press... which also comes on glow in the dark vinyl.

And finally, a record that Jeff was selling on discogs and I decided to grab because I've been on a Lifetime kick the last couple of months. And because pink is the best colour vinyl.

So that was that. Another day, another deal. Except the day wasn't quite done yet. After making this street deal, we went to meet up with Tru and ended up having a pretty crazy Friday night adventure...

1 comment:

Mike said...

Another awesome post. You take the best vacations. How cool is that to have arranged a deal with Jeff?!?!? That is fucking amazing. And it made my day to see Black Sabbath 'Heaven and Hell' get a mention here!