Sunday 23 November 2014

Ride And Fall

Back when I was in school, I had a group of friends who listened to music that was probably pretty cool at the time. To me, however, it was just crap. I wasn't actually that much of a music fan back then, but the little music I did like was built around heavier and faster guitars than those featured in the bands my friends liked. They were really into The Cure, The Pixies, and a lot fo the Manchester stuff fo the time like The Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets and similar. One band they also got into was Ride. I remember being quite into the artwork on the first Ride album 'Nowhere' but other than that I had no interest in the band whatsoever.

Well anyway, for some reason recently I ended up downloading some Ride songs and quite enjoying them. I then decided that I wanted to own 'Nowhere' on vinyl, so started looking on eBay and Discogs. I didn't find a copy at a price I wanted to pay, but I did stumble across this 'Fall' 12" EP for pretty cheap, so I decided it would suffice.

This 12" is one of a series of three 12" EPs that all came out in 1990 and had similar layouts and design. I remember that at least three of my friends had them all back when I was 16 or so. I wonder whether those dudes still have their copies somewhere, and what they'd think of me starting to get into this band now, over twenty years later?

No comments: