Saturday 1 November 2014

I Am King

I couldn't help but notice how many people posted pictures of the new Code Orange LP on instagram recently. It was everywhere. I'd never had any interest at all in checking the band out previously, but the sheer volume of photos of this record made me curious. So I went to some website or other that was streaming it and gave it a chance. And wow, fuck me, this was a powerful and interesting record. I listened to it one evening and after it finished, I immediately went to grab a download. I then listened to it a few times over a few days, and then decided that I was going to invest in a vinyl copy. Of course, I wanted the most limited colour, which is white, and I managed to find one for a bit less than the going rate.

One of the early photos I saw on instagram, someone had left the comment 'Ham King', which made me laugh.

It's hard to describe what this sounds like. It's heavy and chaotic with weird song structures. I can't really liken it to anything. But what I can say is that this is really unique and interesting, and fully deserves all the attention it has been getting. I imagine it will be in a lot of peoples' 'best of 2014' lists.

This record was released by Deathwish Inc, and the pressing info is even more insane than the Cold World LP that I posted about last week. There are 340 on white, 736 on black w/ green mix and a mind-blowing 6360 on opaque green... which adds up to a total first pressing of 7436 copies! Will be interesting to see if they get around to doing a second pressing or whether seven thousand is enough.

No comments: