Saturday 22 November 2014

Get Involved

There was quite a lot of anticipation earlier this year for a Brotherhood release that Southern Lord were putting out. Test pressings were sold before anyone knew exactly what was coming out, and then teaser pictures of a three coloured record were put up on the label's facebook page. It felt like a lot of people were excited to see what was coming. Well, everyone except me. I already have a pretty good Brotherhood collection, so felt like I could probably get by just fine without owning some kind of reissue. So I didn't bother to order any of it.

Well, then what happened? The same as always - every man and his dog started posted pictures on instagram of their new Brotherhood records, and all of a sudden I wanted in on the action. Unfortunately, at that point, I had missed out and the colour vinyl copies had all sold out, and I cursed my stupid decision to pass on this record. Idiot.

But then Jeff sent me a secret link to the Southern Lord store where the limited colours were still for sale. You couldn't access this link from the front end of the Southern Lord website, but it allowed you to buy the (apparently sold out) limited vinyl colours. It seemed like I was being offered a second chance, so I gladly took it.

All copies of the LP came sealed in a poly sleeve with a sticker on the front to indicate which colour vinyl was inside.

Once the poly bag was opened, I realised that each LP has a piece of paper folded over the top of the sleeve to tell you what it is.

The most limited colour is the 'Seahawks' vinyl, out of 300 copies.

The red vinyl is out of 600 copies.

The red vinyl copies come with either a red or blue vinyl 7" inside. Mine was red. It does seem pretty stupid to do two different colours of the 7" and put them both with the red LPs. I mean, why not include two different 7"s with two different colour LPs? Surely that would make more sense. Anyway, as I didn't want to buy two red LPs I left it there and didn't bother trying to pick up the version with the blue vinyl 7".

All copies of the LP come with a glossy 7" sized booklet inside which has lots of photos inside, as well as a weird and pointless write up by Nate Mendel. Surely Greg Anderson would have been far more appropriate?

The blue vinyl version was exclusive to Revelation Records. After picking up the other two colours, I figured there was no logical reason to not grab this one too. Like the red vinyl, there were 600 of these things.

So that was that. Three copies deep after intending to buy none. Good job, dipshit!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted about this one also. And yes, it's hard to choose which pages to display from that 7 inch booklet. So obviously you showed three here.
You were privileged to be still able to order these. Never heard of a secret access link to a store before...

Jeff said...

Apparently that link is still there. It looks like they still have both the Red and Seahawks vinyl available, as well as the red 7"...

Thanks for mentioning me in your post too! It's silly how flattered I am!

Jeff said...

Oh and here's the link. The secret is out!

https://www.southernlord.com/brotherhood

I'm not really sure why these can't be accessed from the Southern Lord store. Perhaps they are unaware. All I did was Google "Brotherhood Southern Lord" and that's where it took me. Order away!

Anonymous said...

thanks Jeff! I'm lucky to have checked this post's comments again...

buzzkill.xvx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I was in the exact same boat, happy with my old pressings and didn't plan on ordering until I heard about the "secret" link and just HAD to get that Seahawks color being from Seattle and all. Now I might have to go back and get the other colors like a dipshit.