Thursday 28 June 2012

Nemesis Live... on Green?!?

Even though I've been collecting records forever, every now and again I still find out about variants of things that I've had for years that I never knew existed. Here's yet another example...

Back in 1990 or so Nemesis Records released a series of three live compilation 7"s. All three came on black vinyl as standard, or clear vinyl in a numbered sleeve. I've had the three clear vinyl copies for years and years. And then a couple of months ago Geoff pointed me towards an eBay auction which was listing one of them on green vinyl. I can't remember exactly, but I think my reaction was something along the lines of What the hell?

I'd never heard of this before, and I wanted it, but the bad thing was that it was one of three records in a lot, and the price of the lot was $100. I decided that this was way too much though as the other two records would probably sell for $10 on a good day. So I didn't bother. Unsurprisingly, the lot didn't sell, and then the seller relisted with a lower price, which also didn't sell, and then the record got listed on its own for $50 and ended without a bid. This may have happened a couple more times too. I forget. But after watching it end a few times with no bids, I emailed the seller and worked out a deal.

Until I saw this for sale I had never seen or heard of this before. But after getting it I did a search on the HYE trade board and found one other dude who has one. Mine is number 152 and his is number 154, so I think we can be pretty sure that number 153 is also green, wherever that may be. But aside from three, who knows how many more there may be? Perhaps there are only three, or perhaps there are as many as a hundred (although I doubt it). As to how it came to be, I can only assume that there was a small number of these on green that came off of the press sequentially and which ended up in the midst of the clear vinyl copies. But as to exactly how many there are... I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone involved with the label either didn't know about them or, if they did, has probably now forgotten the numbers. Which means that nobody will ever know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never seen or heard about this one before.

Mike said...

Surprisingly, I have never owned this record...hell, I've never even heard it!