Wednesday 2 June 2010

Dead & Gone Records R.I.P.

As you may or may not know, Dead & Gone Records is being wound down after about ten years of trading, so Ian took the opportunity to book a final show with some of the bands that D&G have released. Ironclad, Cold Snap, Deal With It, Down & Outs, Death Is Not Glamorous, Justice, and Dirty Money played. This show was also the final appearance of Dirty Money, who seem to have achieved quite a lot (for a UK band) in their relatively short lifetime.

Inevitably there was going to be limited records available at the show, and it seemed quite likely that I was going to pick them up. At first I was a bit disappointed, because I already owned most of the records on sale, and I didn't particularly want to buy them again. However, I got a good deal of £15 for four records (two LPs and two 7"s), so it didn't really matter too much that I was being suckered into buying stuff again that I already had. Plus, if I hadn't have bought records the money would have most likely just gone on a burger or something.

The first disc is the Justice 'Breakout Demo' 7". This is a new release in the D&G catalog (being D&G 40), although (obviously) it's not a new recording. There are only 325 copies of this thing:

There were also three releases from the D&G catalogue being sold with limited "D&G R.I.P." covers. These were limited to 65 copies each. Each one comes with a new overlay sleeve featuring the artwork of Michiel Walrave. First up, the Death Is Not Glamorous 'Soft Clicks' LP. I didn't previously own this, as the band don't really excite me. But given that it was part of the set of three last show covers, I couldn't exactly leave it. You know what it's like - got to have the set.

Next up is the Deal With It 'End Time Prophecies' LP. Good idea to hide the original artwork for this thing, seeing as it's pretty much the worst record cover of all time.

And finally, the Iron Age 'The Way Is Narrow' 7". I only own the Painkiller version of this, and didn't have a D&G version. So this is a nice one to have. I was also pretty lucky with this one and got a cool number:

Justice were also selling a numbered record and, like a fool, I got sucked in. I knew I would end up buying it even though I didn't really want to, and now I have it I wish I hadn't bought it. This is a weird one. This "release" is two records put inside a gatefold sleeve - a 12" black vinyl copy of the self-titled (aka 'Elephant Skin') LP, and a black vinyl copy of the 'Look Alive' 7". I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying this one as it seems like one of the most blatant piss-takes of all time. I'm guessing that they had a bunch of LPs and 7"s left over and decided to make up a new gatefold sleeve to put them in so that fools like me would buy them. And you know what? Their idiotic plan worked. But goddamnit, I am not happy with myself for doing so. I feel conned. I guess I need to start asking myself what the fuck I am doing buying some of this crap.

Finally, here's a clip of the first two songs from the Dirty Money set. I shot it with my crappy point & click camera. It's not the greatest quality, partly due to me getting shoved about at the start, but hopefully this captures the energy present at the show. I don't think I have ever seen a UK band get a reception like this in all my years. Impressive stuff.

3 comments:

jayb said...

If you wanna get rid of that Justice record than drop me a line. love Justice

Duggan said...

The show was a good send off for D&G, was hoping they'd have their final release available from Cold Snap but that wasn't ready in time. Great memories, great dane.

mcs said...

Jayb - the Justice record is yours if you want it. Email me.