Thursday 6 August 2009

Free 7"s!

A friend came round to my place a couple of weeks ago and gave me two 7"s. I didn't ask for or expect them, so it was a nice surprise. I gave him a 7" in return, so I guess on paper this may be considered a trade. But no, it definitely wasn't a trade.

The first record I got given was a 7" by the band ON:

I don't know anything about this band other than who the singer is. I don't know anything about pressing info for their records. I don't even know what they sound like as I haven't listened to this yet.

The second 7" is by a band called END OF A YEAR, on Deathwish:

I was determined to give this a listen because Deathwish had taken the trouble to deal with a US pressing plant to have it made. Although I admit that, with it being on Deathwish, I figured it would be metal. That and the cover didn't give me high hopes. But I was pleasantly surprised. This is a good record. Their page on the Deathwish site says that this band brings to mind Rites Of Spring and other 'Revolution Summer' Dischord type bands, and I wouldn't disagree with that description. Pretty good stuff. I guess if I hadn't have been given it for free I wouldn't have heard it. I mean, look at the cover. Who on earth would actually want to listen to a record with a cover like that? Well, apparently the art was done by some dude who used to do art for Dungeons & Dragons, so I guess the answer is - nerds. Anyway, check the band out here if you are interested:

http://www.myspace.com/endofayear

4 comments:

alla hjärtans pop! said...

On - Control ep is simply awesome.

Wade said...

yes, listen to the on 7" also. On features members of Go It Alone, Get The Most, Lights Out, Champion and Blue Monday

Malbeats said...

if you don't like the On 7" i'll gladly take it off yer hands...i'm looking for both of them.

Head2Wall said...

End of a year is easily one of my favorite bands going right now. I have a pretty decent collection going right now.