Saturday 26 January 2013

Antidote 'No Peace In Our Time' LP

When I heard that there was a full length coming out from Antidote, like most people I was extremely sceptical. I mean, can anyone think of any band that has split up, reformed years later and made new music which has not sucked? Yeah, me neither. It just doesn't happen. But still, I was curious. I mean, the Antidote 7" is one of the all time greats. If there was a 1% chance of a new record being even half as good as the 7", then it was going to be worth investigating. So I downloaded it to check it out and I found myself quite enjoying it. I mean, it doesn't touch the 7", but you know what? It's not half bad. I found myself getting kinda addicted to the first song, with it's catchy 'shut up!' chorus, which would then lead on to me listening to the rest of the record. So I then figured I wanted to buy a vinyl copy. And then before I got around to visiting the Bridge Nine store, I stumbled onto a test press on eBay being sold by Drew Stone himself. I'm such a dipshit that I couldn't resist bidding on it. And wouldn't you know it, I won.

As tests go, this one is fairly interesting. This comes in a plain LP sleeve, but the sleeve has a 12" x 12" target glued to the front. And not only is the front a target, but the target was actually used at a shooting range. It was shot three times with an AK47.

I got number 7 of 20 copies. The labels are stamped, as is usual with B9 tests these days.

The back of the cover is signed by all members of the band. The back also has bullet exit holes.

There's also a photo included which shows the sleeve/target hanging at the shooting range. A pretty cool little extra I think.

I haven't read or heard anyone else's opinion on this record. Anyone else given this a chance? If so, let me know your thoughts. I'm genuinely interested.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Cool way to package a test press. I still have no desire to listen to this though. A) It is Antidote in 2012. B) It is a new B9 record, which insures that it will suck.

Anonymous said...

I also have no desire to listen to this. The EP is NYHC perfection and they should have stayed broken up. I don't care for most reunions in the first place, but when they record new material it really annoys me for some reason.

JAMES WHITE said...

bro,
check my lp collection blog. I guess you may find it interesting :) I also gave a link from my blog to yours.
Hails !!!!