Wednesday 7 March 2012

Ragin' Full On Gold

One of my all time favourite records is by a band called fIREHOSE. I picked up on them many moons ago because they had a song on a skateboard video. Anyway, they had three albums released by SST Records, and I guess they were relatively popular at some point. But even though I know that SST pressed a fair chunk of their catalogue on colour vinyl in the early 90s, it was only about two years ago that I found out that the first fIREHOSE album came on colour wax. Finally I have managed to track one down via good old eBay UK.

I found out that this existed a couple of years ago when Chuck Dukowski was selling some records on eBay. He sold a Black Flag 7" for abuot three grand and a few color Descendents albums for top end prices too. Then one day he listed this gold fIREHOSE record for a starting bid of $50. I figured that nobody would buy it seeing as I don't think many people care about this band these days, and in the end I was proved right as it attracted no bids.

So I decided to email Chuck to ask if I could maybe buy it from him for a slightly lower price without the hassle & fees of eBay.

In the end it didn't work out. But what was funny about the episode was that I did actually get a couple of replies from Chuck, but his responses seemed to bear no relation to the messages that I sent him. I can't remember exactly what was said, but I think it was something like this:

"Hi, I noticed that the auction ended without any bids. Any chance you would sell this record to me without listing it through an eBay auction?".

"I'll be a selling a few more records on eBay next week, please check 'em out".

"Thanks, but I'm interested in the gold vinyl fIREHOSE record. Are you able to sell that one to me?"

"I have some color Descendents records that I will be listing next week".

After that I just gave up. It was like trying to have a conversation with a machine that was programmed to give one of three set responses at random. A very odd experience.

No comments: