Monday 14 November 2011

Get Your Goat Test

Back in 1994 I was living in Leeds in the north of England (where Henry Rollins used to live for a while) and there was a popular punk rock venue called The Duchess Of York, which was a pub slap bang in the middle of the city. This was a 200 capacity venue that lots of big bands played on their way to superstardom, such as Nirvana, and Oasis. In my first year I saw Rancid, Green Day and Jawbreaker. Back then I had little money and didn't know what the hell was up, but I remember making a conscious decision to go down there regularly and watch bands that I wasn't familiar with because it was better than sitting around at home. To be fair, I saw some right shite, but the best gig I saw from a band I was unfamiliar with was when I saw Shudder To Think. They were so tight and so damn different to anything else i had heard at that time that I was sold right away. The next day I was in town buying their record, and not long after that I was trying to track down their previous records. As I listed to their music now in 2011 it seems even more obvious that they were a band that was literally years ahead of their time. The world wasn't ready. Not that it matters. I was ready, and I don't care about the rest of the world.

So recently I stumbled across a test press of their fourth album 'Get Your Goat'. It was cheap and I couldn't resist a sneaky bid. This was also one of those tests that also served as a promotional copy, so it comes with some extras like a poster, promotional photo, and some press sheets. A nice little package.

I'm sure that a lot of people reading my blog won't have heard this band. They were on Dischord and then got signed to a major, where they released what is regarded as their best record, 'Pony Express Record'. It still sounds fresh and different 17 years after it came out. I still dig it. Guitarist Nathan Larson (who used to play in Swiz before Shudder To Think) went on to write music for films, and also married the chick who used to sing in The Cardigans. Drummer Adam Wade also drummed in Jawbox.

If you never heard this band then here's your chance. Check this video out. And remember, when I saw them play live I had never heard them and had no clue about what they sounded like. Put yourself in that situation. Imagine you have walked for twenty minutes into town to check out a band on the strength of the fact that they were on the same label as Minor Threat and Fugazi. Then st back & enjoy. You may be disgusted, but the 19 year old me loved it.

If you've never heard this band until now please comment to let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first thing that came to my mind was "Hey, nice grunge vibe back there." Makes me think of Nirvana... to an extent, but then even more melodramatic and a bit softer (at least in the video).

jhulud said...

Such a great band. Greatly passed by for some reason. They should have been as huge as Nirvana.

Mark-Sandwell said...

I went to that Leeds show in 1994 as well. Before I knew you though.

Cam said...

I first heard them when the Medusa Seven 7" came out maybe late '89 early '90. Saw them supporting Chumbawamba at the Middlesborough Arena in 1992. Was well into the Ten Spot & Funeral at the Movies LPs but didn't get this far.

Anonymous said...

The Duchess Of York was such a good venue. Saw many many bands there from the early 90's right up to when it shut. If I remember correctly, didn't reopen as a Hugo Boss shop!!!!

Mike said...

I've never heard this band before, but I can't sit through watching that video. The opening riff is cool, but then the full screen shot of the singers bald head, with the eye make up and exaggerated mouth movements as he is singing...plus the moustache...it creeps me the fuck out to watch it.

mcs said...

Thanks for the comments, people. Good to know there is still some Shudder To Think love out there!

Cam - Shudder To Think supporting Chumbawamba? Blimey!

Mark - I would never have had you pegged for a Shudder To Think fan for some reason. Still, cool that you were at that same show. What I remember was that all members of Baby Harp Seal were at the front moshing along. And by 'moshing along, I of course mean 'bobbing their heads'.

Anonymous - you are correct, the Duchess of York closed and then the building was turned into a retail outlet which Hugo Boss then moved into.

Mike - the singer used to have hair. But he was pretty ill with Hodgkins disease and I think it went as a result of that. Still, if you listened to a couple of songs without having to watch a dodgy video then I'm pretty sure you couldn't fail to dig it. I'd file this band in a similar ballpark to Into Another. Dudes from the DC hardcore scene who formed an arty rock band with trademark high pitched vocals over some solid riffs.