Sunday 10 April 2011

YOT BDTW Blue

A couple of years ago it dawned on me that I would NEVER own this thing. I've wanted one of these for pretty much ever, but just never been prepared to pay the required price. And quite literally every time I started to prepare myself to spend the kind of money necessary to get one, the price would rise. It just felt like the price would continue to climb for the rest of eternity and the amount of money I had laying about would never be enough.

However, thanks to a friend who was crazy enough to have two copies of this, and understanding enough to let me pay in two installments, I've finally crossed off one of my biggest and most long standing wants from my list.

The first time I was offered one was from some dude who used to run the Art Monk Construction record label. This was circa 1996, in the early days of email. I can't remember where he got my email address from, but the dude emailed me and said that he wanted to sell his blue YOT BDTW and he was looking for $90. I said no instantly. The thought of someone paying $90 for anything back then was too much to take. To put it in perspective, a year prior I had paid circa $30 for a Chain Of Strength 7" test press. So saying no was an easy decision. Obviously though, with hindsight, I have regretted that decision many times over in the years since. Several years later (circa 2004) I remember seeing one sell on eBay for like $400, and my mind was blown. How could anyone spend that much money on a record? I'd never known anything like it. Crazy. A couple of years the price had gone over the $500 mark. And then a couple of years after that the market price seemed to be $750. Then, wouldn't you know it, they started selling for over $800 on the bay. It seemed like it would never end. I started to imagine myself in twenty years wishing I had paid $1,000 for one because, at this rate, the price in 2030 would be ten grand.

Fortunately, in early 2011 all of the planets fell into alignment and my time came. But I wonder what the me of 1996 would have said if I could go back & tell him that saying no to Eric Astor's apparently stupid $90 offer would cost fifteen years of waiting? Ha!

Anyway, this is without doubt one of the best looking & distinctive colours of vinyl I have ever seen. OK, it's clear blue which is itself not a rarely seen colour, but it's a distinct shade. It changes in the light and can range from a deep to a very pale blue. Beautiful.

10 comments:

Lins87 said...

Earth Ad is better you barsteward!!! Had to go and steal my bloody thunder didn't you!!! Nice, nice haul tho ;)

Lins87 said...

Actually this isn't just a nice haul,it's a bloody amazing haul...how the hell did someone have two of these!!? I bow down to your negotiating skills Marcus. Probably the premier Youth Crew record for collectors ever, bar a white Judge record!!!

mcs said...

The person i got this from has two of those white Judge records too. Seriously.

Mike said...

Amazing. You win. I quit.

Thomo said...

Good score dude, wish i owned one of these

Mark-Sandwell said...

Very,very nice. I've never even imagined owning one of those.

Doug W said...

Yawn. Old fucking news. What? You just got one? That's nice. Glad to see you are catching up.

Hahahaha! I'm funny.

-cja said...

i had the chance to buy this and a red vinyl version for $40 each. both were from Pat Duncan's (WFMU) collection and they were given to him by Ray (much like how almost all his Misfits records were given to him by Danzig...lucky bastard). i had $80 in my wallet but walked out with the red copy because i never heard of it existing on red. i thought it was more rare. years later it was obvious that both colors are equally rare.

i ended up selling it for $400 and kicked myself for not buying both colors at the time. to digress, i was offered a Chung King for $350. but late 90s, this seemed absurdly high. now look how much they sell for? i got one in a trade a short while later.

whatever pressing plant Wishingwell used at the time made some interesting shades of vinyl. the red was awesome as it turned more to a pink when held up to the light.

nice score, but i shudder to think how much you dropped on this thing :/

mcs said...

Hey, cja - I wanted to email you about something but can't find an address. Please email me.

I paid pretty much the going rate. But, you know, I have many, many stories from back in the day of things I got for pretty much nothing... so to pay the going rate now and again these days isn't all bad.

Mark - you should start to imagine. It's amazing what can happen when you start to imagine...

-cja said...

just sent you an email.

But, you know, I have many, many stories from back in the day of things I got for pretty much nothing... so to pay the going rate now and again these days isn't all bad.

totally understand that! everything is relative. anyway, pre-eBay things were great and cheap.