Wednesday 7 April 2010

In Contrast Of Sin

In case you didn't guess by now, I kinda like Integrity. There aren't many bands that have been going for anywhere near as long who haven't turned into a total embarrassment. OK, so Integrity today may be a completely different collection of dudes from their first record, but at least the band still sounds the same today as twenty years ago and they haven't moved on to making prog rock records or some other crap. They also seem to still be knocking out great music (after a bit of a dodgy period in the late 90s that everyone seems to conveniently forget about), and it is becoming clearer and clearer to me that this is one band that I should focus on collecting. More Integrity, less flash in the pan hardcore bands with no originality and nothing to offer.

And with that, I bring you the latest installment... a reissue of their first 7", 'In Contrast Of Sin'. This was originally put out by the once good now shite Victory Records waaaaaaaaay back in 1990... a time when I was 15 years old, had been skateboarding for about one year, and owned only about three records, one of which was an Elton John 'I'm Still Standing' 7" which I got free when I (or rather, my parents) bought me some school shoes. This reissue has been put together by Organized Crime Records, which is owned & run by a dude who used to work at Victory and who I once traded something with to get an Integrity 'Closure' LP. And yes, Clint has done a good job here. This reissue is really well put together. And obviously, despite owning two copies of the original pressing of this 7", I still had to get the reissues because, well... I'm an idiot I guess. But at least I did it right and got some good variations of this thing.

First up, the rejected test press. I don't know why this got rejected though. I listened to it & couldn't notice anything wrong. This is numbered out of 25 and comes in a folded paper sleeve, and consequently it's going straight into my 'at risk' box!

Next, the accepted test press. This one has an acetate cover over silver card and is also numbered out of 25 copies:

Next, the release show version, which features a picture of Dom (aka Lord Dom, of Pulling Teeth / A389 Records fame) instead of the usual witch. Yup, this is the 'In Contrast Of Dom' sleeve... very clever eh? These were numbered out of 50 for the release show, but there are probably a few more than 50 in existence seeing as mine features a rather strange "number" that probably wasn't available at the show.

The final version I picked up is the clear/black vinyl with Stephen Kasner sleeve. There were 300 of these things made. This is very, very nice. Black card cover with silver print. Even better, the first 30 copies of this thing have a hand-drawn Kasner sketch on the inside of the sleeve. Well, wouldn't you know it, I was lucky enough to get one of these 30 uber limited versions. Lucky me huh? And what an awesome piece of ass this is. Without doubt the best version of the four.

I was also lucky enough to get the flyer pack, which was included as a bonus to the first 100 people that pre-ordered. This is basically an envelope containing copies of some old show flyers from back in the day.

Despite all these cool records though, there was one thing in the package that I did not like - a flyer that came in one of the 7"s, shown here:

The reason I don't like it is that it says that four more Integrity records that I already own are going to be reissued by Organized Crime in the near future. Why is this bad news? Well, because I already own these things, but with packaging this good, I am clearly going to have to buy them all again... and probably multiple copies of each. I guess I should probably arrange for a meeting with my bank manager to make sure I can cover it ;o)

I also got a couple of little extras thrown into my package. First up, one that I already have - the VValpurgisnacht 7" on white vinyl. If you need this, get in touch, since this is a spare copy that I can let go:

And finally, as a second 'extra', I also got given this cool little record with a shiny underside. Unfortunately though, it doesn't play on my record player. Weird. I think it might be some new fangled technology, although I highly doubt something this small will ever catch on.

I might do another post tomorrow to show the subtle differences between the 'In Contrast Of Sin' original insert and reissued insert. They're kinda interesting, especially if you're a bit of a nerd (which, let's face it, you must be to be reading this nonsense in the first place). But for now... good night!

16 comments:

Wade said...

fantastic post

Doug W said...

Wow. That package is awesome and at the same time completely insane. As a completionist, I'm going to have to pass and leave it to the expert. Good job!

Marcus, I will take that Walpurisnacht on white off you. It is the last one I need after ordering the new press on yellow. Email me!

Dobek Ohashi said...

> There aren't many bands that have been going for anywhere near as long who haven't turned into a total embarrassment.

You may want to seriously reconsider your statement here haha

Integrity with Melnicks = classic shit

Integrity post Melnicks aka Integrity 2000 = utter rubbish. You obviously never went to see them when they played in London as Integrity 2000 with Dwid wearing tight latex/leather pants and silk gigolo slash guido silk shirt and dudes playing all this noise psywarfare type of rubbish shite.

Only after the whole B9 boom around mid 2000s did he reversed back to camo-wearing + HC shirt stage package and begun imitating their early Melnick good times music wise as well.

From around Seasons to mid 2000s they did exactly that though:

They "turned into a total embarrassment" :) :)

-cja said...

the last good thing Integrity released was 'Seasons...'. even the B9 EP was garbage.

i notice 'Humanity...' is gonna be re-released as an LP and all the re-releases are 'expanded'. curious to see what the bonus material will be, unless they mean expanded artwork?

mcs said...

Well, Dobek, it's like I said - there was a dodgy period in the late 90s that everyone conveniently forgets about. Notice how Organized Crime are reissuing everything on Victory up to (and including) 'Seasons'... that's because everyone on the planet wants to forget about the Integ 2000 record and the split 7"s with Lockweld & Psywarfare.

Alpino - I presume you mean the A389 ep rather than B9. Regardless, there's also a relatively new split 7" with some Japanese band which (in my opinion) blows that 7" out the water. You can download it for free HERE ('Love Is The Only Weapon', at the bottom)

Anonymous said...

Good post, good to see other people as obsessed about the mighty Integrity. I have a fair bit of Integrity vinyl, nothing too rare though. I would love to get my hands on the red copy of Humanity is the Devil, anyone with a spare copy???
I must also be one of the only people who actually likes Integ2000 and Closure!
Has anyone got a copy of the Integrity/Rot In Hell split yet?

Alternate 1995 said...

jesus christ you have more integrity tests than I have integrity records. Can we get a collection picture? Should be pretty sick looking.

-cja said...

marcus... to be honest, i haven't been a fan of any new Integrity output, yet i still buy it (it's the completist in me). Seasons...' (and anything from that era) imo is still truly the last good thing they released.

i tried to embrace the Integ 2000 material but just couldn't. when the B9 ep showed up, it sounded good for about 3 spins and back on the shelf it went... same with the newer releases as well.

idk what it is but i'm just not getting into it at all.

jav said...

the In Contrast of Dom "band" version was 15 copies on top of the 50 regular versions of the different cover. i have one as well.

i believe the ICOS test press was rejected because of the matrix. the rejected version doesnt have anything written, but the regular version does. i have #14 of the rejected test press.

Dobek Ohashi said...

Anonymous said...

I would love to get my hands on the red copy of Humanity is the Devil, anyone with a spare copy???


Yeah, I know a guy. Me.
I have a copy with the rare booklet that only the early copies came with.
I'm actually selling a whole lot of stuff to raise some money on new prosthetic limbs.
Check here for 7s:
http://crucialxtimes.com/xdx/?p=11267

and here for 10s and 12s:
http://crucialxtimes.com/xdx/?p=11541

mcs said...

Thanks Javier. Good information!

Dobeki Ohashi said...

All of the Integrity albums that have been released on Bridge 9 records are pure shite!


If you want to listen to real hardcore from clevo check out Face Value! They are still sxe and the best band to ever come out of clevo!


Integrity are over rated noisy punk metal garbage and they arent even sxe!


mixing noise and hardcore is too non commercial for my taste. they will never make it in the music biz.


I will continue to lurk these Integrity threads because I am determined to make certain that f a band is not sxe, has noise elements and doesnt play by the mainstream rules that they will be ridiculed on blogs by me.

Dobek Ohashi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dobek Ohashi said...

Marcus:
Dude,
Check this blog comment i just received.
Looks like you have an impersonator!

Me:
This is awesome haha
It almost makes me feel like Im a celebrity haha :)
It's a shame though the guy seems like a knobhead

Marcus:
I could tell it was not you from the retarded english statements and lack of humour in the writing. but then i realised they spelled your first name wrong too.
i wonder why this fucknuts has it in for integrity?

Me:
Maybe he was about to be sodomized by Chubbz Fresh when he was in his early teens and Erba saved him? Hence the Face Value appreciation.. Who knows..

Anonymous said...

Dobek,
i have it in for integrity just as much as you do!
why you hatin on me now bro? we both hate integrity lets join forces and convince b9 to drop them from the record label

mcs said...

are you some kind of dipshit?

if you are going to go on a pointless one man blog posting integrity hate campaign, you should at least get your facts right. integrity have never been on b9.