Friday 3 April 2009

1986 > 2009

This week I received the latest Dischord colour vinyl re-issue. The Embrace LP.

In my opinion, this is probably the best Dischord release of all time. Such a good record, and one which has stood the test of time for me. These songs never get old or boring. It's nice to own this on colour vinyl, and great that Dischord had it pressed somewhere decent, unlike some of the recent re-issues which came on crappy vinyl with paper thin sleeves.

Whilst shopping, I also picked up an LP by a band called ONE LAST WISH. The album is called "1986". The band was made up of 3 people who would later go on to form Fugazi, and Michael Hampton (who was also in Embrace and SOA). This album has just been issued for the first time on vinyl, previously being available on CD only.

It may be 23 years since these songs were recorded, but this has aged well. I'd never heard this band before, but I've been spinning this a lot the past couple of days. I'd highly recommend checking it out. I was never a big fan of Fugazi, but this record is great. It kind of mixes the best elements of Embrace, Rites Of Spring and Fugazi. And even though they only existed for 8 months in 1986, they still have a myspace, so if you don't trust me and aren't sure whether you should part with the few dollars it would take to own this, you can try before you buy. Go here:

www.myspace.com/onelastwishdc

2 comments:

Mike said...

Nice. I'm thinking of picking up the Embrace LP on colored vinyl as well. It will complement my original pressing nicely. Such a great album.

Handsome Pete said...

The One Last Wish album is so good. I had never heard of it until stumbling on the disc in a bargain bin.