Tuesday 6 May 2008

7" PVC Covers - Goodbye!

Today I am breaking my own rules. I am writing about something that is not a record I received in the mail. Rather, something I did today.

7" storage solutions. Everyone has their own. Mine has been the same for many years... put the 7" in a poly bag (which most come in) and then put them both into a PVC sleeve. Then put the record in a box. I used to like this method because it kept the record completely air tight.

Two years ago I found a few 7"s that had sleeve damage. All are/were sleeves that were made on photocopiers. You may have some yourself. Damage can occur where the ink on the sleeve sticks to the poly sleeve that it's in. I'm not sure what causes this damage. I think it is partly heat, and partly pressure (caused by the weight of other records leaning on the sleeve). But recently I have found more 7"s with sleeve damage, and I now hold PVC sleeves partly responsible. In short, I don't think keeping records airtight is a good thing.

Today I had a day off work. I decided to remove the PVC covers from all my 7"s. Here's the fruit of my hours of hard (pointless) work:


The PVC sleeves are arranged in piles of 25. To save you having to count, there are 34 piles. In total, that's 850 PVC covers. Hopefully I can shift them on eBay, like I did my 12" PVC covers a year ago.

2 comments:

Dobek Ohashi said...

I keep ALL the records in poly bags with re-sealable flap. Back in London I used to buy comic book poly bags and put records in those but some of the bigger cut sleeves wouldnt fit in those. Since moving to Japan I found that DISK UNION has the most amazing in the world selection of vinyl care items. They have just about EVERYTHING you could ever imagine for your vinyl needs. I now buy the resealable bags and for the vinyl that has thin sleeves and tests or more valuable records I have the carboard reinforcements (also available at the DU)

I also keep all the vinyl out of the sleeves to avoid rengwear and edge cuts.

Unknown said...

Informative post !!!!!! Thanks for sharing this post ...


PVC Covers